fenbendazole dosage?

More on dosing:
fenbendazole_1.JPG

Source:http://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/avian-medicine/

Did you all know that when Safeguard it given to dogs and cats it's given for no less than 3 days in a row?

So you all should know that two of my pet peeves are about Safeguard. One is the 3 cc per gallon one, the other is the "pea size" paste one. There are probably thousands of posts on many forums and FB pages that say to do this, but what you all haven't seen are the all the posts where people have reported that these methods are not effective.

@lilmagill , sorry to post all of this info here. :oops:

I made a mistake and gave her too much. I put 1 teaspoonful in a kefir/ bread mixture when I think I should have only given her 1/4 teaspoon. I would say she ate about half so she probably got about a half a teaspoonful. i've been watching her and she seems ok. Still eating and drinking. I did have a freak out and googled and it said that it is very hard to overdose safeguard. I guess that's why they named it that :)
The good news is that if she did get 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) there is a good chance that you did treat capillary worms. One study I read said that a single large dose of 100 mg/kg was very effective in treating capillary worms. :) FWIW, I have several that I have given this dose to because I was too lazy to treat them 5 days in a row. :)

How is your hen doing now?

You used 10%, which is the same as 10% liquid. One ml of paste = one ml of liquid, both have 100 mg fenbendazole. I gonna guess that you gave a pea sized amount? If so, that pea sized blob = 0.25 to 0.3 ml (25 to 30 mg). If you gave that amount to a 5 pound hen you gave only 11 to 13 mg/kg.
And, not to hijack, but...
@casportpony, I read all through this thread, and I want to be sure that I understand the dosing you are explaining.

The Uganda study recommends 15-20mg/kg dosage of flubendazole for effectiveness, yes? And the vet you quoted below recommends 50mg/kg, which they say is 1ml for a 4lb bird. Combining these two things, plus your statement about the calculations above, if I wanted to give an approximately 5lb bird 20mg/kg, I could give her .5ml, or half of a 1 cc syringe--right??

I'm calculating it as .2 ccs has 20mg, and if my bird is about 2.26kg, then that would be .452 ccs, or about .5 ccs, to get her 20mg/kg.

safeguard_rx_1-jpg.1045117

I'm asking because have an 8 year old EE hen whose comb looks pale, she's hanging out on the roost a little more than usual, and she's not visibly molting yet, although a couple of my other hens are. I'm concerned about her and want to worm her. I recently had a necropsy on another hen (turned out she had ingested several large screws :(), and they found ascarid ova in her feces, so I know there are potentially worms in the rest of the flock. I have never wormed the flock before. I don't know exactly how much my EE weighs, but I'm guessing 5lbs since she is a normal EE hen in fine condition (great condition for her age, I think).

I am thinking I will give my EE hen the Safeguard (I have the equine 10% paste) for 5 straight days, .5 cc each day, if that's correct. Then, later in the fall, once everyone is molting and the egg production is way down, I will treat the whole flock (except this EE) with Wazine (since Safeguard isn't good during molt). I was also considering staggering the Wazine treatment in the flock, doing, for example, the brown egg layers first so our family can still eat the white and blue eggs, then the white layers, then the blue layers, etc. I never heard anyone discuss doing it this way, but it would decrease the pain for us of having no eggs for such a long time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Here are a couple pics of my EE hen today, for reference:
Chamomile:
IMG_5926.JPG

pic among the flock, to show her relative size and pale comb compared to other adult hens
IMG_5908.JPG

Pic with my blue Americana hen, who has just started molting. Chamomile's comb and face are a little paler than hers and than my other EE, but all three of them tend to be a bit paler than than the rest of the flock.
IMG_5905.JPG

It's complicated... What worms do you want to treat? The worms treated in the Uganda study don't include capillary worms, I think it's just large roundworms, cecal worms, and gape worms. Capillary worms require a 5 day dose.

It's complicated... What worms do you want to treat?
Thanks for your reply!

I definitely want to get roundworms, since I know they were in my flock, but I figure as long as I'm at it I'd use the stronger dosage and longer dosing time to try to fight as broad a spectrum as possible. I haven't seen any worms in their poop, but the necropsy did identify roundworms (only roundworms) in one hen a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your reply!

I definitely want to get roundworms, since I know they were in my flock, but I figure as long as I'm at it I'd use the stronger dosage and longer dosing time to try to fight as broad a spectrum as possible. I haven't seen any worms in their poop, but the necropsy did identify roundworms (only roundworms) in one hen a few weeks ago.
Can you have the poo tested? I think if I wanted to treat just roundworms I would use Wazine. De-worming 5 days in a row is a lot of work.

Can you have the poo tested? I think if I wanted to treat just roundworms I would use Wazine. De-worming 5 days in a row is a lot of work.
I thought safeguard sounded easier than Wazine for one bird, but maybe I'm wrong. I have the liquid Wazine, and my understanding is that I'd have to mix 1oz/gal water, keep this hen in isolation for 24 hours to be sure she gets the water, not eat her eggs for 14 days (which effectively means all the green eggs since I'm rarely sure who laid them), and then repeat that process in either 14 or 30 days (I've seen both recommendations, but the bottle says 30 days). I could get her poo tested, but my avian vet is a little far away, and I can't remember their charge for just fecal (because they always did it as part of an office visit) but I think it was about $40? So I though just giving her the safeguard by syringe each night before bed would be easier and more likely to knock out any worms she might have. I'd certainly defer to you--the expert--though!! :)

Back
Top Bottom