Fenbendazole, Panacure, Safe-Guard oral..update internal layer pg 3-4

Fenbendazole isnt used to treat coccidia; corid or sulmet is used for that and yes, a stool sample is the best way to identify it. In both your cases as I stated earlier, the dosage or amount of fenbendazole your vets gave you may not be as strong as what others purchase at a feed store...which is an equine paste wormer. That is why you were given a 5 day dose. It takes longer than 5 days for larva to hatch inside a chicken...that is why we go back in 10-14 days and reworm with a different wormer such as ivermectin or valbazen to kill the larva and other types of worms and prevent immunity to one certain type wormer ie...fenbendazole. Normally for first time worming I highly recommend wazine to get rid of the large roundworms to prevent worm overload toxicity, then reworm in 10-14 days with a different wormer. Then the next cycle, use different wormers in rotation to prevent worm immunity to any given wormer.

Ok, so Hennie was better today. My husband had her out free ranging for a bit this afternoon and she is eating fairly well, especially bread and greens.
Today after work I gave her the second dose. She is still lethargic and not herself but hopefully after the full course of dewormer she will be better. fingers crossed.
I have not been seeing worms in her poop, but some of it gets lost down in the bedding. I also am not sure she has worms but I have never dewormed her and she has continued to loose weight despite a big appetite. (over the course of the last couple months) 3 weeks ago we had a heat wave and she has been weak, with a flopped over comb, at one point barely able to stand. She is isolated. I ruled out impacted crop and internal laying. I never thought of cocci.... I thought that mostly only affected chicks.

You might want to give her some probiotics and extra protein to boost her immune system and strength. We had record heat here this summer also and it will stress your chickens. I gave mine plain yogurt and/or buttermilk with scrambled eggs or canned beef catfood mixed in their feed for a few days and it helped out alot. I also recommend this for anyone who is worming their chickens such as you're doing with Hennie. Yes, it's possible but not likely for older chickens to get coccidia, a stool sample provided to your vet will determine whether she has it or not.

I don't have a vet that will do tests for chickens.
sad.png
However, I will say I do not see blood in any stools.
This morning I thought hennie was dead. she was laying on her side, not moving. I called to her several times before she slowly moved her head. I propped her up, fed her egg, yogurt, cucumber, water, and bread. She ate some but was most eager to eat the bread. Tonight my husband gave her more bread that was moistened with water and dressed with soy meal(44% protein) She ate vigourously, more than any normal bird should ever be allowed but I cant see how it would hurt. She is kind of able to stand, sit. but not really walk well, fairly weak and wobbly. I am continuing on with dose 3 tonight unless anyone advises against. I think her conditon is beyond looking poorly.... she is nearly dead. I do want the worms to go (if she is infected). I hope someone else can tell me they have had a simular worm experience.
Thanks.

I have changed my mind..... I am not giving her anymore doses. She is literally almost dead. I am hoping she will pull through the night. Once she is stronger I can try again, but right now I just want her to pull through.

I am kind of bummed though because the more I read about worms, the more I realize I am a bad chicken farmer. Hennie got to garden with us, so she ate a million earthworms which I read can be a host to parasites. (so do all robins have worms)
I also have them living in a coop with an attached run. (huge, but still they dig up all of the plant life and are left with mud, often damp conditions) I have been tossing treats and scratch to them in their run. Bad, bad chicken owner! I have ignored signs of worms.... messy bottoms, low egg numbers, weight loss (hennie only) and in a couple hens, intermittent breathing difficulty, gurgling. (maybe gapeworm?!) I dont know what I will do about the run. I guess only keep food in containers. But they like to peck and scratch.
Thanks dawg53 for agreeing with me about waiting. So hard to know what to do sometimes. To make matters worse, I am going away this weekend (have to, booked and paid for, 5 yr anniversary) So I am hoping she will be better enough by Friday that my neighbor can look after her. Fingers are crossed for hennie. Hope she makes it through the night.

not sure if this could help explain why the doc gave it to you for a wormer but i found this on P & T poultry website. http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/18/productid/1168

i
also found a natural method that may help if you give it to them as a back up-garlic, mint, cheyenne pepper, and carrots ground up and mixed into the feed. it also mentions that pumpkins are considered a natural wormer-most importantly the seeds.

btw: good luck with your sweet little girl!

Last edited:
This morning Hennie was really bad.... could not stand, or open her eyes, pooping all over herself. My husband has been off work yesterday and today. I told him that the decision is his, he can put her down if she is in rough shape. I expected for sure she would be put down..... or just die.
Tonight I got home late, he is in bed so I don't know what happened. I went out to her little pen and she is sleeping now because it is bedtime. I pet her and she woke up, and started to eat some crumbles that are were in front of her!!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
She was balanced and though not walking (bedtime) she was able to reposition her feet and kind of sit stand on them.
Fingers crossed!!!! WOO HOO HENNIE!!

Back
Top Bottom