Fence Flying

Dec 15, 2017
Hello,
I am new here, and last month I got two RIR hens. They are about 20 weeks old, and I have recently found them on my 6-foot wooden fence. They are a heavy breed, so I am wondering if they will get heavier and stop flying as they get older. If not, should I clip their wings or try to train them?
Thanks,
Cassie

You will find different opinions. Do you have a large yard? If not, you may want to put a bird net or other cover over the yard/ run.
However, if you can't do that, when it comes to keeping them safe, I clip 1 wing. That's how my Grandma & Mom did it & it's worked for me. I have found my heavy breeds flying less as they get more weight on. Make sure they have lots to do in their yard or run. Dust bath area, a jungle Jim type toy. Maybe a chicken swing. In the summer I make watermelon piñatas. Welcome to BYC!

I am trying to keep away from clipping their wings, as I would like to still let them fly around a little and get away from any potential predators. I will definitely try these suggestions as they sound like a lot of fun for my chickens. Thank you!

The answer is yes, they will lose interest in flying once they develop their full body weight. Meanwhile, let them enjoy low level flight and being thrilled giddy by it. There's nothing more amusing and thrilling to watch.

If you are afraid they will fly beyond the top of the fence, installing a foot of plastic deer netting along the top should stop the flying up to perch there since you would be depriving them of a sturdy landing.

Back
Top Bottom