Fencing...

thunderkitty

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Bismarck, ND AKA: North Pole
Now I am sure this question has been asked a million times I just can't seem to find it in a good search. :lol:What type of fencing do you generally use for a run and what height? What size per a bird (my birds are going to be mostly heavies) I read somewhere that I can use hardware cloth, but that generally runs between 2 and 4 feet tall... I am 5 ft 7...I guessI can crawl in every day to their house but... not ideal
tongue.png
Maybe you ol' wise chicken keepers
old.gif
can "advise" me?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
well not that I am that wise and not that old but ..I have hardware cloth that is 2ft tall on the bottom of my pen then chicken wire that is 4 foot on the top so the pen is 6 ft tall. here is a pic my pen is not the best but it works and the chickens don't complain.

I have my pen connected to the coop off from the side with a small opening for the chickens. That way I can use the full size door to go in & out with out having to enter the pen itself. Other wise you are going to have to double your height of the pen.

102_0313.jpg

Last edited:
Poison Ivy that is GENIUS! (or at least I think so
wink.png
) I went and bought 5 rolls of 3ft tall, 25 ft long 1/4 in. opening hardware cloth. 150 feet total for $98.99 at Menard's. How many posts would you guys recommend I buy? I bought 18 to start with, but I assume I'll need more? I bought some that are 4 ft so I have excess for driving low in the ground and they are plastic which I thought would be better for portability, not sure if it will be sturdy enough... my mom thinks so
idunno.gif
. Anyway, so I'll go back and buy something cheaper for the top later once I decide on dimensions. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
I have garden netting on the top of my run and it keeps out the raccoons and keeps the chickens in. I've had no problems with hawks and I've seen them around the farm plenty of times. I bought it at home depot for a $6 bucks a piece. I used zip ties to secure it to run. What you have so far sounds good May or may not need more post just depends on how big you want your run to be. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom