Feral drake needs a home

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
I hope this is OK to post here because it's not so much as a rescue as a hope that someone can help me place a people-oriented drake that's at a local lake in San Diego. I can catch and transport him locally if needed.

The drake has been at the lake since late last year, but, lately, has been hanging out alone and following/approaching certain people he likes for food. He is also limping, but has improved lately. The problem is, though, that he is bitey, especially if he thinks you're denying him food and don't feed him promptly. He's not really aggressive, just when he's near people, he likes to bite, especially hands and legs/feet. When there's food around, he's a lot better behaved. He likes food dry and in a bowl. He's also bitey with other ducks and birds and often acts afraid of them, but seems to like females. I'm mostly concerned someone will hurt him because of his nipping/biting.

I would not recommend him as a lap duck, but might do well in a place with plenty of food and females.

Here is a recent picture of him. He prefers to eat the food in the bowl rather than the ground:

His bill is peeling and I think he's molting (though he often pulls at his feathers in a nervous way):

I hope this is OK to post here because it's not so much as a rescue as a hope that someone can help me place a people-oriented drake that's at a local lake in San Diego. I can catch and transport him locally if needed.

The drake has been at the lake since late last year, but, lately, has been hanging out alone and following/approaching certain people he likes for food. He is also limping, but has improved lately. The problem is, though, that he is bitey, especially if he thinks you're denying him food and don't feed him promptly. He's not really aggressive, just when he's near people, he likes to bite, especially hands and legs/feet. When there's food around, he's a lot better behaved. He likes food dry and in a bowl. He's also bitey with other ducks and birds and often acts afraid of them, but seems to like females. I'm mostly concerned someone will hurt him because of his nipping/biting.

I would not recommend him as a lap duck, but might do well in a place with plenty of food and females.

Here is a recent picture of him. He prefers to eat the food in the bowl rather than the ground:

His bill is peeling and I think he's molting (though he often pulls at his feathers in a nervous way):

This poor guy sound/looks like someone dumped him there. Grrrrr....
somad.gif

Please keep us updated and let us know if you do find him a home. He needs a real home. He is not meant to be a feral duck.

PS - are you sure 'he' is, in fact, a he? I don't see the tell tale (tail?) curled drake feathers at his back end.

Yes, he's a boy. He's got the drake raspy quack and usually has a curl on his tail, but he's molting good right now. I am just going to check up on him in a few minutes.

Last time I saw him, his leg was almost all better.

Last edited:
I saw him today and got new pictures. Apparently, just before I arrived, something suspicious happened to him. 5 guys were surrounding him and feeding him something and filming him while saying strange things that made it sound like they fed him something harmful. They also threatened a woman who was watching them. So, everyone who witnessed this was very upset and concerned about him. I fed him something and so did someone else and he seemed fine and acting like he usually does. Then, he moved away and got lethargic, but he had just eaten a lot of high-carbohydrate food, so that could be why. He was still acting like himself, but just not as excitable and was a bit sleepy while he was sitting in a few inches of water. I did see him gaping, but he had a lot of fuzz covering his nostrils from grooming and I only saw him doing this once.

I think he's OK. Hopefully.

I saw him today and got new pictures. Apparently, just before I arrived, something suspicious happened to him. 5 guys were surrounding him and feeding him something and filming him while saying strange things that made it sound like they fed him something harmful. They also threatened a woman who was watching them. So, everyone who witnessed this was very upset and concerned about him. I fed him something and so did someone else and he seemed fine and acting like he usually does. Then, he moved away and got lethargic, but he had just eaten a lot of high-carbohydrate food, so that could be why. He was still acting like himself, but just not as excitable and was a bit sleepy while he was sitting in a few inches of water. I did see him gaping, but he had a lot of fuzz covering his nostrils from grooming and I only saw him doing this once.

I think he's OK. Hopefully.

I wish I was not on the other side of the country, I would take him in a heartbeat. It does sound like he used to have a home, someone probably dumped the poor boy. Have you seen him since this incident? People can be so cruel. After reading this, I'm biting my nails hoping that he is still okay....and hoping someone can take this handsome fellow in. Are there any waterfowl rescues in your area? I want to help him! Please update when you can...

I haven't been there since Monday and I might see him this weekend, but he was OK after this incident and doing fine last time I saw him. He gets along well with the fishermen in that area.

There have been coyote attacks on the other side of the lake but not where he is. If he's not there this weekend, I will let everyone know.

There are no waterfowl rescue groups in the area, but there are people who have helped in the past. But, they can't help right now as they've taken in so many already.

Last edited:
I'm in Ohio. Is it possible to ship before it gets too hot. I know nothing about shipping. Does anyone else? Approx price, speed, etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to ship him because the risks are very high for adult birds. I think you have to ship them express and it's extremely expensive and you cannot put food or water in with them. Plus, I don't think it would be fair to him after all he went through and without a vet check. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance to deliver him if needed, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom