Fermented Feed Additions?

Takay

Hatching
Dec 12, 2019
I would like to start fermenting feed for my hens. I have read several recipes however I want to add some things I typically add to their regular dry feed and/or treats. I have tried to find information, on if these things may interfere with the fermentation process adversely or benefit from fermentation, without much luck. Anything that cannot be fermented, I will continue to give as treats. If anyone knows how any of the following works, the information will be greatly appreciated.

~Dried Bugs
~Dried Fruits
~Dried Herbs (have seen in recipes, should any be avoided)
~Dried Vegetables (have seen in recipes, should any be avoided)
~Fresh Ingredients (I haven't read anything about adding fresh foods, bugs/fruits/herbs/veg)

Thanks!

I feed fermented crumbles, but have only added oatmeal, wheat, black lentils, bulgar. I'm curious as to what others do. Where on earth do you obtain dried bugs?

How would you be giving the feed to your flock? I throw a cup full of crumbles, a cup full of scratch, and my kitchen scraps onto the ground in their run every morning. If you do that, you could have your fermented feed in one container, and your additions in another container. Then you could pile the additions on top, or bring two cups.

I feed fermented crumbles, but have only added oatmeal, wheat, black lentils, bulgar. I'm curious as to what others do. Where on earth do you obtain dried bugs?

Dried bugs such as soldier fly larvae and meal worms can be found in the chicken treat isle at walmart, feed stores, etc. Pet stores will carry dried bugs such as crickets for lizards. Since composting animal products is frowned upon, partly due to harmful bacteria, I wasn't sure if bugs would effect fermentation or if they are even classified as animal product.

How would you be giving the feed to your flock? I throw a cup full of crumbles, a cup full of scratch, and my kitchen scraps onto the ground in their run every morning. If you do that, you could have your fermented feed in one container, and your additions in another container. Then you could pile the additions on top, or bring two cups.

I make a concoction of dry crumbles with about 15% dried treats, (bugs/fruit/veg/herbs/oats combo), added in. Table scraps are fed as treats and they also free range during the day. I am hoping to mix the feed as normal to feed most days and give fermented feed every other day. For fewer steps and space savings, I would like to ferment the daily mixture as is and continue table scraps on the side.

I’m not sure I would add the dry parts to the wet feed... I assume that it would cause it to mold. right now I’ve been throwing a cup of oatmeal along with a cup of their crumbles. If you want to give dry feed one day then wet feed the next, I would recommend you mix the dry stuff with the dry feed, and keep a bit on the side to give them on fermented feed days. I’ve bought dried mealworms, I keep them in a cooler on top of my feed (kept in big plastic tote on my back porch) and I throw them a handful as treats whenever they get them— I feel like if I mixed them into food, they would crumble into dust and the chickens wouldn’t eat them.

I guess you’d have to give it a try, then report back here with your findings :thumbsup

Definitely experiment but to it in small batches!

For example, do not ferment alfalfa cubes. Something about the cubing process gets a LOT of mold spores in them (I think cause they use steam to cube them) and that mold EXPLODES in FF and goes crazy in just about 3 days.

I am going with mad science experiments! Tonight I will start 4 jars. The base is crumbles, scratch and oats.
Jar 1: Base
Jar 2: Dried Soldier Worms+Base
Jar 3: Raisins+Base
Jar 4: Freshish Lettuce+Base
I will update in 3-4 days on my findings. Thanks for the responses so far :)

UPDATE
Jar 1: Seems to be fermenting fine. Going to leave it until tomorrow.
Jar 2: Dried Soldier Worms+Base = rotten meat smell, I am going with no.
Jar 3: Raisins+Base = Smells a bit like apple cider vinegar or wine. I also had a couple of fruit flies get into the house and they really want to get in that one. I am feeling a no for dried fruit.
Jar 4: Freshish Lettuce+Base = It doesn't smell much different however the lettuce has become a bit slimy so I am going to avoid due to gross.

Personally, I will be omitting additions from the fermented feed and using crumbles+oats, maybe some scratch. On the days I don't feed fermented, I will have a batch of my regular combination. Thanks for all of your responses. Hopefully this info may help someone who was as curious as me.

Interesting to hear the results of the various add ins... I figured certain ones wouldn't work or would turn funky but it hadn't occurred to me to try adding anything, so I like that you actually tried it and found out.

Back
Top Bottom