Fermented feed for chicks how long in feeder?

sellersV

Chirping
Mar 21, 2017
Georgia
How long should I leave fermented feed in feeder? They seem to like it, but are not finishing it. I have been throwing away what they do not eat but hate to keep doing that seems like a a waste . I just give them regular dry starter also.

Stop giving the dry. Don't give as much FF. Eventually, you'll get a sense of how much they eat. Just when you get that figured out, they'll hit a growth spurt, and you'll go back to assessment mode! You can leave it out for the day, just keep it away from the heat. Are you at home at all during the day so you could top it off mid day?

Yes I can top it off. I gave it to them this afternoon but they had dry most of the day, guess that's why they didn't finish it. They seem to really like it though! Also do I need to keep putting ACV in water ? Thanks for the help!

No need for ACV when you feed fermented feed.

In the morning put out just a tiny bit. If they gobble that down by noon, give them a bit more than you did last time. Soon you'll get a feel for how much they will eat. No need to keep supplying them with the dry crumbles.

If their dish runs out, refill it. Chicks are very loud when they run out of food, so you will know.

If there's no debris in the leftover FF, I just fold it back into the main supply, stir, and refill their feeder with fresh. I've been doing it this ways for years, and haven't seen any harm from the practice. FF has all sorts of good bacteria and yeasts from the air, and it shouldn't make a difference if it's in their dish or in the fermenting container.

If they happen to poop in their food, then by all means throw it out.

Back
Top Bottom