Fermented Feed for Cornish Cross

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
My first broilers (CX) are waiting for me at the postal annex. They will be free range (as much as they can) and I would like to feed them fermented feed right from the get go.
Has anyone fed their broilers fermented feed? Any pros or cons?
I don't want them to have free access to food the whole time, so should I just follow my feed's recommendation for broiler ration and feed them that much? As much as they can eat in 30 minutes? As much as they can eat in 30 minutes a few times a day? I really have no idea.
I make sure my laying pullets have fermented feed available all day. I just go around and fill their troughs.
Much appreciated.

For me a major con is the extra work, the fact that it didn't save me a DIME (my flock isn't wasteful already), and it did NOT change the health of my flock, size of my eggs, or taste of my carcasses... I did nothing but FF for about 2 years. And I would think you might have some freezing going on this time of year in Lancaster, makes it harder for some people.

Sorry I never raised broilers. I did see one FF study that showed side by side the FF birds maintained a lower weight in the beginning but caught up to the dry fed birds eventually. Wish I could find it again!

Hey, maybe you can do 2 separate groups and report your differences! ;)

Good luck with you broilers. :drool

For me a major con is the extra work, the fact that it didn't save me a DIME (my flock isn't wasteful already), and it did NOT change the health of my flock, size of my eggs, or taste of my carcasses... I did nothing but FF for about 2 years. And I would think you might have some freezing going on this time of year in Lancaster, makes it harder for some people.

Sorry I never raised broilers. I did see one FF study that showed side by side the FF birds maintained a lower weight in the beginning but caught up to the dry fed birds eventually. Wish I could find it again!

Hey, maybe you can do 2 separate groups and report your differences! ;)

Good luck with you broilers. :drool
Well I figure, with the lack of info re: cornish cross and fermented feed I would just report my findings on here as I go. Anyone else can compare with what they've already done.

I also am able to ferment inside still so the freezing temps having bothered me any. I already ferment feed for my pullets, so I figured the more the merrier.

Back
Top Bottom