Fermented feed: interesting development

It's better to research culturing methods and practicing it. Why bother going through the hassle of making it to have turn out different from what you thought it should be.
Yes, absolutely. I have read quite a few of the papers on the subject. I had also heard of people feeding chickens leftover distillery mash and had live apple cider on hand so I could not resist experimenting. Their aggression was surprising, They would fly right at me to get more when I came to feed them!

I tried fermented feed. But my hens would not eat it. I tried it at 1 day, 2 days and 3 days. They would not touch it. Is there a type of feed that ferments better than others?

What feed are you using?

IMO whole grain feeds are ideal for fermenting purposes as you'd want the grains and fines to stick together.

I used Purina chick crumbles first. That, they almost ate.

When they grew older, I switched to Scratch & Peck grower, which is whole grain. They're still eating that, usually moistened for the cohesion you mention! But if I ferment it, they will not touch it all.

I tried 1 day, 2 day, and 3 day fermentation for each. None seemed to hold much appeal for them. :idunno

I used Purina chick crumbles first. That, they almost ate.

When they grew older, I switched to Scratch & Peck grower, which is whole grain. They're still eating that, usually moistened for the cohesion you mention! But if I ferment it, they will not touch it all.

I tried 1 day, 2 day, and 3 day fermentation for each. None seemed to hold much appeal for them. :idunno

Yeah my chooks don't really like it either but if it's the first thing you give them in the morning they may take to it...especially if it's scratch grains.

I ended up feeding them home-made yogurt mixed with crumbles instead which also contains active gut-friendly bacteria.

I've never personally tried it, but what I have heard was that you should only ferment enough to feed your flock for 1-2 days or it will go bad. I would try it.

Depends entirely on environment. Here in warm, humid, FL, it takes less than 12 hours for Kahm yeast to make a thin layer across the surface of any feed not completely submerged in water. Its not harmful, and may in fact prevent other yeasts and mods from effectively colonizing the slurry, but it takes over before the fermenting has far proceeded.

By four days, I find the bottom of my ferment almost liquid and well progressed, even where the feed has not been fully submerged - so thin it pours more like melted milk shake than the loose oatmeal my birds prefer.

In other, colder and drier environments, I understand it can take up to three days or so before a good ferment is going, leading to the practice of scooping fermented feed from a source bucket, then immediately "feeding" it an equal measure of fresh to begin fermentation in the existing culture.

There's a ton of information on this site how to make fermented feed, etc. I remember maybe a year ago being on it with a whole bunch of good information. It's easy to make and easy to keep! Just put "fermented feed" in search.

Back
Top Bottom