Fermented Feed

Wil781

Songster
Apr 29, 2018
Central Alabama
Hello, it has been awhile since I have been on been very busy spring. I have a question about my hens and their love for fermented feed. I give them a bowl every morning, I will add little treats such as oats, or raisins or other fruits my question is all of a sudden since it has gotten hotter weather they are not gobbling it all up, they will eat half and leave it, are hens like people and eat less in the heat? They have dry feed in their feeder so I’m not worried about them not getting enough to eat just wondering if I should stop their morning treat until cooler weather.

My free rangers are eating a lot less lately, too. I got tired of wasting the FF left in their bowls, and as of today, I'm just giving dry feed for a while. They seem to like it and it's a lot easier to deal with.

My free rangers are eating a lot less lately, too. I got tired of wasting the FF left in their bowls, and as of today, I'm just giving dry feed for a while. They seem to like it and it's a lot easier to deal with.
Yes I think I will stop the FF until cooler weather also.

I feed it year round, but there are times when they don't eat it as much. I usually just offer less when they get like that. I also have dry feed available all the time. If you want to hold off for a couple days, you can put the fermented in the refrigerator and it won't ferment any further. This will keep you from wasting it and not have to start another batch. I put mine in the fridge for a week when I go away, then just start up again.

I mostly just ferment in the warmer months cause its easier and works faster. I wouldn't complain about them eating less feed, that's good! They are satisfied on less. Less $$
Lol.

Back
Top Bottom