FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

IS there any danger in the fermented food? Like anything I can do wrong? Let it ferment too long? Does it rot? Mold? If it can go wrong then for me it probably will!
hu.gif

I was rushing this morning and put really wet feed out for my latest batch of quail. They're 4 days old, so I'm just putting it in a line on the floor of the brooder. One of the quail must have been trampled into the feed and was soaking and cold. He looked dead, but his mouth opened occasionally. My daughter found him and said that she could see him breathing, but I couldn't when I got him. I held him up close to the heat lamp for about 10 minutes until he was breathing deeply, put him in a small box under the heat lamp to keep him warm and away from the crowd of idiots, and let him warm up. I released him from solitary back into the general population and he's fine now, but he probably only had 10-15 minutes left when my daughter found him. No more really wet ff in the future.

That's the only downside I see, and it comes down to poor management on my part.

I've got to finalize my numbers, but for the first 4 weeks (only last 3 weeks on FF) I fed on average 1.125 lbs/quail. That's $0.43 CAD per jumbo quail and they ranged from 4.7 to 6.8 oz with an avg weight of 5.9 oz (all at 25 days, not 28). They're really healthy and I moved them out into freezing weather at 3.5 weeks. I should get 12 oz quail for less than $1 each in feed.

@Beekissed , do you know who wrote this? Is it a byc member? It is such a fantastic post. I came across it several weeks ago and have referenced it so many times.

Yes, that's TikkTok, one of our members here who graciously and diligently compiled much of the information on our two big FF threads into a FAQ site on feeding FF. A HUGE service to the BYC community and to others out there on the net looking for answers about fermented feed. There is so much disinformation out there about it that she decided to help folks get the straight facts on it all in one easy to reference place. This was a major and ongoing work done by Tikk and it's so much appreciated by all. I give this link every single time someone asks multiple questions, as it's just easier to direct them to the place that will answer any further questions they may come up with....most of the FAQ ever asked about it on these threads will be asked and answered on that blog site.

Thank you, wonderful TikkTok!!!!
woot.gif
bow.gif
love.gif

I haven't had great luck starting chicks out on FF although I do love it. I tried, but they were neither enthusiastic nor filling their crops sufficiently. So, I switched back to dry feed until they were about two weeks old. Now it's going great. I make my FF pretty thick for my pullets, do you think I should have made it sloppy for the chicks when they were <2 weeks?

Not really sloppy but kind of like a really thick oatmeal or paste. I've not had a single chick refuse it and all ate it with gusto, so not sure why folks have problems with this. I don't even have to put dry feed on top of it to entice them or anything....they just eat it like they would any other kind of food.

I have tried fermented feed for the big girls and they LOVE it. I hAvent for the Chicvs yet they are only 5 days old. When I run out of medicated chick feed I'll start them on fermented feed to help their gut.
I noticed it really keeps the poop more solid and helps with digestion.

Not really sloppy but kind of like a really thick oatmeal or paste. I've not had a single chick refuse it and all ate it with gusto, so not sure why folks have problems with this. I don't even have to put dry feed on top of it to entice them or anything....they just eat it like they would any other kind of food.

That's been my experience too. When I first tried it, my batch of quail were 7 days old. With the dry food they'd amble over and eat at leisure. When I gave them FF, they checked it out a bit, but then ate it quickly. The next time I fed it was a frenzy to get to it.

My latest batch of quail got it from day 1. The issue I had today was feeding runny FF. If they weren't 4 days old it wouldn't have been an issue, and I think that the guy who got wet was trampled into the FF, otherwise he'd have been fine.

I haven't had much success with my laying quail switching them to FF, but I'm running two buckets of FF already to keep track of feed costs by batch and don't want a third bucket. Also, I'm worried that if I try to make them go cold turkey, they'll quit laying. They are pretty ****** finicky.

I have a question about how much to feed my chickens. I have six hens and it seems like no matter how much FF I give them they want more. How much should I be expecting to feed them per day? They free range psalm but the grass and weeds are growing much yet. I've read on here that chickens will not over eat but I'm seriously wondering if mine are doing that. I am sure not seen much of a reduction in feed I don't think. So any basic guidelines would be appreciated as to how much I should feed them per day. Thank you.

Yes, that's TikkTok, one of our members here who graciously and diligently compiled much of the information on our two big FF threads into a FAQ site on feeding FF.  A HUGE service to the BYC community and to others out there on the net looking for answers about fermented feed.  There is so much disinformation out there about it that she decided to help folks get the straight facts on it all in one easy to reference place.  This was a major and ongoing work done by Tikk and it's so much appreciated by all.  I give this link every single time someone asks multiple questions, as it's just easier to direct them to the place that will answer any further questions they may come up with....most of the FAQ ever asked about it on these threads will be asked and answered on that blog site. 

[COLOR=800080]Thank you, wonderful TikkTok!!!! [/COLOR] :woot     :bow      :love

Yes, thank you tikktok! So informative, realistic, and easy. I started 2 weeks ago because of that post. I tried to read this whole thread as well as the meat bird one, but they are even more overwhelming than the deep litter thread! So grateful to the wise ones on here. Maybe someday,I'll know enough to actually help someone instead of asking questions
1f601.png

I have a question about how much to feed my chickens. I have six hens and it seems like no matter how much FF I give them they want more. How much should I be expecting to feed them per day? They free range psalm but the grass and weeds are growing much yet. I've read on here that chickens will not over eat but I'm seriously wondering if mine are doing that. I am sure not seen much of a reduction in feed I don't think. So any basic guidelines would be appreciated as to how much I should feed them per day. Thank you.

Everyone usually agrees that a half cup of feed per bird seems to do the trick. And that's a half cup wet feed, not dry weight. Certain times of year that may vary as the flock's needs change per the seasons, but that's a good average amount to start with.

Yes, thank you tikktok! So informative, realistic, and easy. I started 2 weeks ago because of that post. I tried to read this whole thread as well as the meat bird one, but they are even more overwhelming than the deep litter thread! So grateful to the wise ones on here. Maybe someday,I'll know enough to actually help someone instead of asking questions
1f601.png

And that's how it is for all of us....from asking questions, to learning, then on to helping others who are asking questions. It's a nice way to give back to the community of people here.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom