FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Hi All.

I have three, 4 week old Speckled Sussex chicks that I hatched in an incubator. They have had fermented starter from the beginning, but their consumption is still throwing me. First it seems like they are hardly eating it. The dish is never truly empty. I check it twice a day and it usually just looks like the top layer is pecked at. Second, they only show moderate interest in it. When I refill they seem to care less. No rushing the bowl or getting happy to have fresh feed. They show some interest when I sprinkle dry crumble on top but still don't seem to go after it with gusto.

Developmentally they seem fine. Feathering out nicely. Getting bigger. When I take them outside (yard time - LOL!!!) they scratch and peck at the grass and dirt and have a grand old time. Poops are semi-solid and not super stinky, so I know they are getting some of the ff down. Never had any pasty-butt or other baby chick issues. They've just "been fine" from the get go.

Should I just trust their development/behavior and ignore my prior expectations for how much feed baby chicks go through?

saving on feed cost is one reason I use ff.. little waste and they eat less because they get more out of it... so 1/4 to 1/2 less feed used than if I feed dry https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
Hi All.

I have three, 4 week old Speckled Sussex chicks that I hatched in an incubator. They have had fermented starter from the beginning, but their consumption is still throwing me. First it seems like they are hardly eating it. The dish is never truly empty. I check it twice a day and it usually just looks like the top layer is pecked at. Second, they only show moderate interest in it. When I refill they seem to care less. No rushing the bowl or getting happy to have fresh feed. They show some interest when I sprinkle dry crumble on top but still don't seem to go after it with gusto.

Developmentally they seem fine. Feathering out nicely. Getting bigger. When I take them outside (yard time - LOL!!!) they scratch and peck at the grass and dirt and have a grand old time. Poops are semi-solid and not super stinky, so I know they are getting some of the ff down. Never had any pasty-butt or other baby chick issues. They've just "been fine" from the get go.

Should I just trust their development/behavior and ignore my prior expectations for how much feed baby chicks go through?

I would trust their development and perhaps feed them a little less...and lacing the FF with other yummies (like mealworms or dandelion greens or anything else they love) might get their attention. I think (just my opinion after reading many posts) their palates are not fully developed until 10 weeks or so.

I watched my 18 month old flock rush their new "salad bar" this morning, ignoring the FF. Later the FF was all gone.

Hi All.

You may be giving them more than they need. Chickens are not like dogs, they can self regulate their food intake; they won't eat if they don't need to. If they're developing normally and are healthy I wouldn't worry. You could gradually reduce the amount you feed them until you match their daily need.

Agreed. They aren't attacking the feeder, b/c they are satisfied. And they are growing. Check their crops, and I think you'll find that they are eating just fine! Cut back on how much you put out every day until you find that sweet spot. Realize that the "sweet spot" will change tomorrow b/c they have grown bigger overnight!

Thanks all for the re-assurances. I was pretty sure I was overthinking it. Wouldn't you know they cleaned their plate today. LOL. Goes to figure that as soon as I start to worry about something basic, it resolves itself.

You may be giving them more than they need. Chickens are not like dogs, they can self regulate their food intake; they won't eat if they don't need to. If they're developing normally and are healthy I wouldn't worry. You could gradually reduce the amount you feed them until you match their daily need.

I disagree about dogs not being able to self regulate... except for treats, my dogs are fed free choice 24/7 at 8,7, and 6 years old all 3 of my dogs are in good body condition according to my vet and one of those "feel the ribs" charts. That is despite the fact that my youngest was litterally starving to death when I got her at 10 weeks old. All my dogs have been free fed and never had a single obese 1 in the 25 years I've been an adult. Though I am positive that for *some* dogs that isn't true... I wonder how much of it has to do with them being affraid the food won't be there next time? In reality a dog should only eat to meet it's energy needs as well. My guess is it's more about the nurture than the nature in those instances of obese dogs. :confused: People feeding soft or human foods maybe? Afraid their dogs won't eat unless it gets cat food or whatever it holds out for instead of sticking with the correctly formulated feed because their dog is "spoiled" or "picky". Will a dog fed a balanced diet still gorge itself every chance it gets or only for treats?

I did know a guy who thought he was feeding his dogs a "restricted" amount twice a day. But in reality there was always a little bit left anyways and the dogs went to the bowls throughout the day not just at feed time.

One of my dogs hits the feed bowl up for little bites all throughout the day even in the middle of a hide and seek game. Where as the other 2 stand and eat a meal when they go to it. It's probably just like chickens... we all have different experiences and every single animal I've met so far is an indivual! :)

Not meant to be ugly... just sharing that dogs are indeed capable of self regulating. And boy am I ever going to have a hard time if I do get one that isn't, as far as feed goes. Dog sitting once I had to do that. Stinks when the many have to pay for and adjust when the 1 ruins it... just like many laws of the land.. made for the ones who CAN'T self regulate! :duc

Glad you've had that experience with dogs. Shows to go, that there is no one correct way to do things! I was watching one of the BTE videos yesterday. The author has a 16 y.o. lab. This dog has not a bit of grey on her, and she harvests veggies from the garden year round. According to him, she self feeds, self regulates, he gives her no kibble. No doubt, she may also dine on some fat grubs, perhaps a few moles, but... she's in perfect health.

I think my dog would be one who could be given free choice at all times and she would not get fat. Food simply is not that important to her... unless it's dog biscuits (we call them cookies) or people food.

I have one dog who is a hit and run eater and the other would eat herself to death.
To be fair to her she spent the first year if her life with bigger dogs and had to hustle to eat or she wouldn't get any food. Poor little thing was so thin when I brought her home.
I never have been able to break her of that so we feed twice a day and the other dog did adjust.
I do leave feed out for my chickens to free feed and they're fine. I give FF in the morning and leave dry crumble out all the time. The consumption of dry food has dropped a LOT since I started the FF too.

I have a question for those of you who ferment in large buckets. What do you use to stir with? I'm thinking it needs to be long enough to reach the bottom, and strong enough if the mixture gets on the thick side.

And while we're on the subject of stirring, do you wash or rinse your stirrer each time? Where do you keep it?

One, no, two more- What do you use to ladle it out to the feed dishes? Do you take the bucket of feed out to the yard to fill dishes/troughs, or gather all the feeders in to where the bucket is and then distribute full dishes?

I started A ferment last night for the first time, and all these logistical questions keep arising that I don't remember reading any posts about. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom