FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I have thought about just feeding it on the ground. After thinking about gutters for troughs yesterday, I was looking around to think where I would place them. My covered areas aren't big enough, I don't think. Not if everyone is eating at the same time. So that leaves out in the open, rain or shine. That's not a problem with my 5 gallon bucket feeders with the pvc elbow ports. The rain only rarely makes any wet clumps in those.

Not sure what I will do on rainy days. Normally in the rain they just huddle under covered areas until the rain lets up, and then come out to eat. By then it seems like the FF would either be washed away or very soupy. Or do you just delay breakfast until after the rain? That might not work out for those of you on a set schedule.

Yes, it's nice reading all the many variations people have with their methods and flock sizes.

I should add, I have about 50 right now, I think, not counting brooders and grow out areas.
I sometimes feed in the coops or the areas that are sheltered... or wait for the rain to stop... if I know there is a big storm predicted for morning,I'll give a 3rd feeding right before lockup.. I usually feed and hour after I let them out and about 4pm... in the wild they wouldn't be eating when they are hunkered down in the rain

I live in the PNW... it has to be raining really hard and windy for my chooks to hunker down. When it's a light rain, they know it brings the bugs out. I only feed FF so it free choice all day. I don't feed in my coop because I don't wanna clean extra poo in there. And I put everything up or cover it at night to avoid rodents. My shelters also keep the FF from drying out too much when it's sunny. My covered area is only 12 x 12. With so many, they don't all eat at the same time. My mamas and babies are always out first in the morning. But they don't go straight to the feeder. They go hit up the yard. My daughter said the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese! :D Others trickle out at their own pace. And there is enough feeder that they can run around to avoid the pecking order and too much for any one bully to guard them all. I'm not by any means claiming troughs are perfect, though. If my feed is a little too thick it wants to plop in fat chunks that don't "pour" straight in but also over the sides. Also, other than the small chicks who can't reach the feeder... none seem to wanna stand in or perch on top of, which is a pleasant surprise to not have to make more mods. I imagine if I did multipe feeding instead of free choice that it might be much more crowded at the same time. :confused:

Ok so I know I'm posting right after myself, but I have a question I didn't want jumbled with the last post...

Anybody feed their ducks FF? Anybody use Purina flock raiser for their ducks and chickens and does it have enough niacin without adding brewers yeast for ducks? Is the 20% protein in the flock raiser going to be too much long term for ducks? Do you think you can range duck and chickens together but herd them to different shelters at night? And which seems to be more cost effective food grade or animal grade brewers yeast? Any better ideas for keeping it simple to feed a multiple species/age (chicks/adults) flock? TIA

If I delayed feeding until after the rain, my birds would have died of starvation this spring. We've had rain, and more rain, on top of rain, on top of torrential rain, followed by mist, and more torrential rain with wild wind gusts. I think you get the picture! You might do something as simple as setting up a tarp tent to cover their feeder. Harbor freight often has coupon sales: buy a single item and you can get a free tarp. I never have too many tarps. And I always need something at HF!!

I am small scale, quart jars on the counter for 24 hours or so. No fodder, salad bars will go in when it cools off.
I use glass jars, usually a silicon spoin and everything is rinsed ever day if not washed.
I only have 6 chickens.

Ok so I know I'm posting right after myself, but I have a question I didn't want jumbled with the last post...

Anybody feed their ducks FF? Anybody use Purina flock raiser for their ducks and chickens and does it have enough niacin without adding brewers yeast for ducks? Is the 20% protein in the flock raiser going to be too much long term for ducks? Do you think you can range duck and chickens together but herd them to different shelters at night? And which seems to be more cost effective food grade or animal grade brewers yeast? Any better ideas for keeping it simple to feed a multiple species/age (chicks/adults) flock? TIA

So I just started fermenting. although I'm not sure if I'm doing it right (splash of apple cider vin with the mother, about 1/3 bucket of feed mixed with some scratch grain, and fill with water about 3 inches past the food level). I've been giving it to the whole flock (consisting of 12 ducks, 12 geese, and 40 chickens) for about a week and a half. I haven't noticed any major differences besides them not needing as much feed. but I don't have any left over by the end of the day. They are all free ranged together and because the geese can definitely be bullies, I spread it out through the whole yard. They usually only stay on about 1 acre. I am just on the lookout for any of the animals if they aren't doing well, and so far they seem like they are doing okay. So to answer your question I am feeding it to my ducks and geese but I am just using the layer pellets mixed with some scratch grain to get everyone to hopefully be okay with the FF. so far no complaints. we'll see in about a month once I have them more on a daily. Also, I've been keeping the FF stored in my house since I had one batch go moldy in the garage with temps at about 100 for three days.

I'm not sure about spreading the FF on the ground. Unless you're fermenting whole grain the ferment tends to be soft and mushy from the start. As such, do they even need the grit? It's not as if the mush has to be 'chewed', any more than a human baby has to chew pureed baby food. Also, chickens by nature scratch as the eat, and again, unless you're fermenting whole grain I would think this would result in much of your feed being turned into mud rather than going into the chicken. If you think you need to have grit mixed in with the feed, I would just pour some grit into the trough and mix it into the feed.

So I just started fermenting. although I'm not sure if I'm doing it right (splash of apple cider vin with the mother, about 1/3 bucket of feed mixed with some scratch grain, and fill with water about 3 inches past the food level). I've been giving it to the whole flock (consisting of 12 ducks, 12 geese, and 40 chickens) for about a week and a half. I haven't noticed any major differences besides them not needing as much feed. but I don't have any left over by the end of the day. They are all free ranged together and because the geese can definitely be bullies, I spread it out through the whole yard. They usually only stay on about 1 acre. I am just on the lookout for any of the animals if they aren't doing well, and so far they seem like they are doing okay. So to answer your question I am feeding it to my ducks and geese but I am just using the layer pellets mixed with some scratch grain to get everyone to hopefully be okay with the FF. so far no complaints. we'll see in about a month once I have them more on a daily. Also, I've been keeping the FF stored in my house since I had one batch go moldy in the garage with temps at about 100 for three days.

Hello down in Paso! :frow

I do NOT miss those temps. Used to live in the valley and head that way for riding pretty often.

Did you keep your FF stirred during that 3 days of garage heat? You should save yourself some $ and don't put the acv in your ferment.. it will work plenty well with out it.

One major difference I noticed is the poo was more solid and less stinky. :sick

So are you using the scratch just to create interest? Otherwise scratch diminishes your protein level and should be kept to less than 10% of daily intake. Other than fun, IDK why people feed scratch... for me it's the same price as feed but with way less nutrients. :confused:

Wow, with a flock the size of yours, the savings should add up! And that's just feed not even including the health benifits and possible saving from having a healthy flock and treating for less illness/disease. :thumbsup

Thank you for sharing with me, I will look forward to hearing an update! Try to keep cool. ;) ETA: love your user name. I want some churros. :p

I'm not sure about spreading the FF on the ground. Unless you're fermenting whole grain the ferment tends to be soft and mushy from the start. As such, do they even need the grit? It's not as if the mush has to be 'chewed', any more than a human baby has to chew pureed baby food. Also, chickens by nature scratch as the eat, and again, unless you're fermenting whole grain I would think this would result in much of your feed being turned into mud rather than going into the chicken. If you think you need to have grit mixed in with the feed, I would just pour some grit into the trough and mix it into the feed.

I would guess that "on the ground" means on the lawn. But, that is me making an assumption based on my situation. I would not choose to put the ferment on the bare soil ground, especially if that bare soil ground happened to be in a run. and if the ferment is going on the lawn, they indeed should have access to grit. It is my opinion that all chickens should have access to grit, from a very young age.

Back
Top Bottom