FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm an over thinker for sure.
barnie.gif

The Purina flock raiser work well for me. I leave FF available free choice at all times during the day with OS on the side. My chickens do free range.

They act like they are starving every time I show up at the door. They are so excited when I add new feed even if there is still feed in their trough. They are just treat and food crazy for sure.

I have found that aside from the smell of poo changing with the feed so does the smell of the chicken as well. I don't provide extra light and collect my dishes at night to avoid free loaders.

I'm an over thinker for sure.
barnie.gif

The Purina flock raiser work well for me. I leave FF available free choice at all times during the day with OS on the side. My chickens do free range.

They act like they are starving every time I show up at the door. They are so excited when I add new feed even if there is still feed in their trough. They are just treat and food crazy for sure.

I have found that aside from the smell of poo changing with the feed so does the smell of the chicken as well. I don't provide extra light and collect my dishes at night to avoid free loaders.

I pick up their dish after every meal, no feed necessary at night. You're doing what I used to until it was suggested I was over feeding them and they should be rationed. I've read that over weight hen = problem laying, feet/leg problems, aside from unhealthy. What got me concerned was one had a "scab" under it's foot that was suggested "bumble foot" due to weight; no limping, redness or swelling, thank goodness. That's when I cut back to from mixing 4 cups a day & feeding 3x day. Now mixing 3 cups a day & fed 2x day although I know they could eat more but I don't want them to be unhealthy with problems.

I do prefer the FR poo than that of the layer
roll.png
How many are you feeding? How much FF are you making a day?

Ok, I'm one of those "over thinkers" & my head is SPINNING! I LOVE feeding FF, but how much to feed?

I have 5 Wynadottes that recently started last month, getting 4 or 5 per day, read "it's like giving birth everyday" they need to nutrition. It's been suggested I'm overfeeding, Flock Raiser 4cups dry a day prior to laying with Grit on the side, they're not free ranging. Added Oyster Shells on the side when they started laying. Don't want fat girls with issues so mixing Flock Raiser/Home Grown Layer No Soy No Corn (50/50) 3 cups dry daily (there's a bit leftover to mix for the next day). They act like they're STARVING! If they hear me open the back door or see me outside they start pushing at the door.

They get 2 scoops in the morning & another 2 at around 2pm. I give them some veggies scraps (if I have any) at around noon or hang an apple or pear (yup store bought, I'm unfortunate to live in a town) but not everyday. They really don't get much treats
sad.png
cause they're picky, don't like Freeze Dried Mealworms (shocker for me but I didn't raise them from chicks). They do like grass clipping, found out they also like the Hawaiian Chili Plant clippings, Hibiscus leaves....Still learning them as I've had them only for a few months.

Ok so back to my "over thinking" ... Should I feed them as much as they can finish in a sitting or ration out their FF? I'm going 50/50 with the FR/HGL cause the feed store ran out of FR so I had to get something. I've used HGL with a prior 4 hens, we do have "shipping" issues here in Hawaii and when the ocean is bad, we don't get shipments!

Is it ok to feed them as much as they'll eat or ration?
Is it ok to do a 50/50 mix or going straight FR or Layer?

TSC here carries Home Grown, Layena and Dumor, all Purina - I had them on Dumor when I first got them cause they lady said they're going to lay soon, when they didn't switched to FR. I found their poop really smelly with the Dumor so once that was gone switched to HGL. Any comments on the feed?

Appreciate any and all your feed back on my "over thinking" THANK YOU in advance, you all have always been a great source of knowledge!

I feed all they can eat in 20 min, 2x a day ...if it is around 0f I give them a treat/meal in the middle of the day.... this winter I am I using a 50lb bag a week for 25 chickens and 5 turkeys

I used to go out the first winter every 2hrs and give them more and they acted like they were starving.. I had a hen die late that winter and she was full of fat , her heart was full of fat and she had a purple comb at death.

I keep things rather simple here and that's worked for many a long year. Every bird gets a layer mash feed, no matter the age, sex or laying status. The chicks might get chick starter the first week or so due to the fineness of the grind of that feed, but by 2 wks it's getting mixed in with the mash feed and they are able to eat it fine. I don't supplement with OS, no matter what I feed. No treats are ever given, though table scraps and garden scraps are always on the menu at any given time.

In the warmer months they get fed once a day in the evening so they can forage all day for most of their food. In the winter they get fed once a day in the morning. I adjust feed levels of that single ration according to what I see left behind when I go up to gather eggs in the evening...if too much residue of the feed left in the trough, I cut back. If it looks like it's been licked clean, I may up the ration a bit until it no longer looks that way.

There truly is no set ration to feed to X amount of birds all year round, especially if they free range, as their needs change with the season and available feed. I'm guessing that is easier to keep steady and regular for penned flocks, as they don't have a chance to eat anything else. That usually averages out to 1/2 c. per bird, be it wet or dry feed measure.

No matter how full a chicken is, they will usually act like they are starved. It's just instinct. My dogs act the same way...there's never a time they aren't interested in food. That's the life of an omnivore, I'm guessing....eat while you have the chance.

I pick up their dish after every meal, no feed necessary at night. You're doing what I used to until it was suggested I was over feeding them and they should be rationed. I've read that over weight hen = problem laying, feet/leg problems, aside from unhealthy. What got me concerned was one had a "scab" under it's foot that was suggested "bumble foot" due to weight; no limping, redness or swelling, thank goodness. That's when I cut back to from mixing 4 cups a day & feeding 3x day. Now mixing 3 cups a day & fed 2x day although I know they could eat more but I don't want them to be unhealthy with problems.

I do prefer the FR poo than that of the layer
roll.png
How many are you feeding? How much FF are you making a day?
Well, none of my hens or roosters are fat. My dogs eat free choice to. Also good body conditions according to my vet. It's true tghey would eat non stop if it were human food or treats. But I've never had issues with animals over eating their standard food.

Maybe your bumble foot is caused by to hard of a landing when they jump off the roost.
hu.gif
Did you actually weigh your hens and see if they are overweight for their breed? Just because someone suggested that might be why you have bumble foot doesn't make it reality. The ONLY chickens I've ever heard of being rationed are CX. And they probably would consume more during cold winters especially if they don't have any forage. I have a ramp for my larger breed to get on and off roost in order specifically to avoid foot problems. and make sure they aren't landing on concrete when they jump down. Doesn't matter how fat you are it's jarring.

On top of that... when I figured out how much feed I go through (a few posts back) I was only at about 0.20 # per chicken which is still less than the suggested .25 they are expected to go through.

I was feeding 48 including many cockerels, none of which were overweight at processing and using 5 bags of feed per month approximately. Now down to 40, I figure I will go through 4 bags per month. But my flock is ever an changing dynamic. Soon there will be more additions.

I ferment in an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote. All 50# at one time. I have 2 and feed one out while the other works its magic. Each one last about a week. And yes I let it ferment that long with about one days worth of back slop and current outside temp 40-50 F.

I did find by leaving it free choice, they don't come mob it when I come out to add feed... because I don't come out to add feed anymore. Just the initial feeding. So now they just mosey to it as they feel like it. However... I noticed that every single one of my girls will come out after laying and go directly to the feed. Which they require to make eggs. And nobody just gangs out by the feed all day.

But that's what makes BYC so great, everyone being able to share their experiences.
smile.png

THANK YOU ALL....Molpet, Beeskised, Eggsighted4Life and ALL BYC Members! Feeling better about not starving my girls
smile.png

Forgot who posted the formula on feed usage - number of chickens x .23 = pound of feed per day 50#bag/pound of feed per day = amount of days a 50# should last your flock. So I calculated my usage 4 x .23 = .92# per day 50/.92# = 54.347 days per bag......A bag lasted me 63days
big_smile.png

Now I'll get the scale out and weigh them....

UPDATE .... I got these Blue Wynadottes (Dels/TSC hatchery) from their Owner in October, she got them as chicks in April so know they're not "grand" specimens but they are pretty. Got the scale out this afternoon, they weigh 4.75#, 4.5#, 4.5#, 3.5#, 4# and if I researched right, Wynadottes should weigh about 5.5 - 7#?

So guess my girls are not overweight and as pointed out, hard landings off their roosts & rocks in their enclosure more probably for any bumble feet (Eggsighted4Life). I've added more shavings & will have Hubby make me a ramp from the roost.

Thank you all

Last edited:
I don't really prescribe to bumble foot being caused by rocks or landing off the roosts.....chickens have landed off high roosts inside barns for eons and walking on rocks is their life, so both of those things I've always found highly implausible. I'd be looking at protein levels and lowering them. Every time I've ever inadvertently gotten too high of protein levels in a bird(stealing cat food from the cat's dish every day is one example) they started showing symptoms of limping, swollen and reddened foot pad, etc. Soon as that was removed from the equation, that went away.

I'd keep protein from 16%-18% and no higher, for optimal production and health.

I don't really prescribe to bumble foot being caused by rocks or landing off the roosts.....chickens have landed off high roosts inside barns for eons and walking on rocks is their life, so both of those things I've always found highly implausible. I'd be looking at protein levels and lowering them. Every time I've ever inadvertently gotten too high of protein levels in a bird(stealing cat food from the cat's dish every day is one example) they started showing symptoms of limping, swollen and reddened foot pad, etc. Soon as that was removed from the equation, that went away.

That's interesting....I've been feeding them Flock Raiser (20% protein) which the feed store just ran out so they're now eating Home Grown Layer No Soy No Corn (16% protein). Will keep them on it & see what happens...No one's limping, swollen or red foot pads however Dec 29 discovered one got a "scab" that's shrinking/drying and the other day found another with one on each foot (one bigger than the other). Keeping a close eye on them, Vet says leave it alone so we're doing a "wait & see".

I don't really prescribe to bumble foot being caused by rocks or landing off the roosts.....chickens have landed off high roosts inside barns for eons and walking on rocks is their life, so both of those things I've always found highly implausible.  I'd be looking at protein levels and lowering them.  Every time I've ever inadvertently gotten too high of protein levels in a bird(stealing cat food from the cat's dish every day is one example) they started showing symptoms of limping, swollen and reddened foot pad, etc.  Soon as that was removed from the equation, that went away. 

You got me thinking on that, Bee.... Do chickens get gout?

Evidently, they do. And it causes swollen joints, limping, etc...

Good call there! ;)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2497

Back
Top Bottom