FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

What is the difference between wet mash and FF?
Yep, you already got the answer.
smile.png

Welcome to the wide world of fermenting!
highfive.gif

Yes, I am typically lazier in the cold months and ferment when it is cold outside and sprout in spring as the left over sprouts that the chickens do not eat end up growing into plants for them to eat.
For fermenting, I simply fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/3 full and fill with water to soak for 3 days. We have a little over 60 chickens and we feed them about 1/3 pound each a day. When I ferment, it doubles in weight meaning the 20lbs of organic feed I buy on ebay is 40lbs which makes it more economical.

I sprout also in a 5 gallon bucket that I drilled holes smaller than the flax seed to allow the water to drain. I soak on day 1, and rinse 2x a day on days 2 and 3. Then feed the morning of day 4. When I do this the 20lbs weighs appoximately 60lbs which makes it less than what I can buy a bag of food from the feed store. Fodder takes 7-10 days which I am usually to distracted to commit to. However, it does make the 20lbs turn into 120lbs of feed which is insane. I find fermenting and sprouting to be really easy.

I tried others seeds http://www.ebay.com/itm/132059463011 was the one that sprouted the best and had the most variety. It has barley, flax seed, millet, oat groats, red winter wheat, sunflower seeds, and green field peas.

If you have a smaller flock you can use mason jars to ferment or sprout. Or a metal strainer in a bowl to sprout. We just have so many chickens that we use the 5 gallon buckets.

Any issues I should be aware of switching to crumbles or pellets from whole grain FF for a couple weeks while I'm out of town?

expect them to maybe not eat?

Just kidding..I would try it before you leave to make sure they eat, although I'm sure if they get hungry enough they will eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom