FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

So far I'm guestimating about 10 cups per day for 6 2 month olds, 6 4 month olds, 5 1 year olds, and 9 4 month old bantams (so basically the equivalent of 16 chickens). But they still have dry food available and they are also in new yards with plenty of weeds and bugs to eat.

5 days into fermented feeding, and it's smelling nice and yogurty. I noticed though they don't like it if it sits outs for long and a darker layer forms on top. I'm also realizing that if I'm going to continue this, it would be nice to use something better than a stick for stirring and some plastic bowls. Is there anything wrong with using a long handled metal spoon or trough if it's galvanized? I'm think of purchasing something like this:
Stainless steel spoon
Galvanized trough
I understand you don't want something that will react with metal, but it also seems like wood would get nasty and plastic would break.

Is it common for people to put out both dry and fermented feed? Because I'm thinking that if there was some reason we couldn't do fermented (too cold, on vacation) it wouldn't be a huge switch for the chickens. I can see though watching our flock that some of them prefer the fermented, and some prefer the dry.

Zinc can leach from galvanized and possibly poison them.. same w/ACV in gal waterers...
I do use a high grade SS restaurant cooking spoon, and I do not leave it in the ff .. so far no sign of etching or deterioration... I use rain gutters, rubber feed pans and plastic goat troughs to feed my birds.. I usually put out a little more than what they can eat at one time, 10 - 20 min, so it's not in there long anyway.
I just feed FF, I do have 20% pellets that I throw out dry as a treat if I need to move them.
The turkeys trample everything when they fight and the rubber feed pans stands up to their abuse. The gutters 2x4 feet were tore off by the turkeys fighting. But the gutters are still fine. The goat trough hangs on the cattle panel hoop coop so it has been safe.

If you haven't already seen it, check out the link in my signature line about FF. It might be helpful. :)

Finally got time to read it and your article is GREAT! :goodpost: I was terrified of mold when I started so I've drowned the food. Putting only enough for a couple of feedings and used it after 2 days. The batch as been so watery I've added dry feed into it before serving for it to thicken, and that sorta misses the point... Haha!

Perfect timing too. I'm a fan of learning from trial and error, so having been at it for a week I've gained my own experiences and are ready to make changes out of what I've learned. Making the batches bigger and thicker now, and will wait to day 3 to start using it. :)

Me too. I just put together 5 Quart jars
1. Fed Monday with this one, I have been using for the past week, left a little in bottom and added more feed/water every day or so.
2. Feeding today Tues, put it together on Sunday morning with a scoop from #1
3. Made Sunday evening fresh, little backslop (feed Wed)
4. Made Monday afternoon fresh, little backslop (feed Thurs)
5. Made Monday evening fresh, little backslop (feed Fri)

I will rotate these and reuse the glass jars without cleaning and a little back slop left in the jar. I use the canning jar tops but put the inner ring upside down and do not screw it on tight.
I left them outside yesterday because it was raining and 65 out :eek: . I do need to find a better spot for them. Can't do inside house and the shed I have everything in gets a bit too hot and I do not want to feed hot food.

Finally got time to read it and your article is GREAT! :goodpost: I was terrified of mold when I started so I've drowned the food. Putting only enough for a couple of feedings and used it after 2 days. The batch as been so watery I've added dry feed into it before serving for it to thicken, and that sorta misses the point... Haha!

Perfect timing too. I'm a fan of learning from trial and error, so having been at it for a week I've gained my own experiences and are ready to make changes out of what I've learned. Making the batches bigger and thicker now, and will wait to day 3 to start using it. :)
I'm glad it is coming along for you! :highfive:

I didn't write that article, I just keep a link to it for quick reference for newbies. ;)

Back
Top Bottom