Fermenting chicken feed, Good idea?

Have you heard of fermented feed?

• Total voters
We ferment organic whole barley, oats and field peas. Our friend grows it and we get a really good price. We have to ferment it for the pigs, and the chickens seem to like it better fermented. We soak about 25-30 gallons (dry) and add 15-20 gallons of water in a 55 gallon barrel. Wait 3-5 days before we start feeding depending on the temperatures. It takes 7-10 days to get through the barrel depending on who we are feeding. It actually smells quite pleasant. At the end of two weeks it can get a little mucilaginous, but as long as you keep water over the surface it doesn't mold. We feed the pigs in a wood trough and the chickens in a feeder make out of gutter or just on the ground.

Can I ask how you made it?
Thank you for asking!

I'm too exhausted right now to go into detail (the way MY brain does) but I followed directions according to this link..

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I also read this entire thread and heavily participated before changing my mind on the information I had gathered and perceived..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them.645057/

The exact answer what I did might be in this link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickened-out-on-fermented-feed-but.1343072/#post-22044055

I apologize.. I will check back in and try to be more interactive and direct if possible! :)

Make it a great day. :highfive:

That's awesome but sounds way complicated. I just put feed in a tub and fill with water. 2 days later I start feeding. My biggest complication is I get feed from a mill.
Let me simplify it.. I used totes and graduated to large plastic trash cans mixed with a boat oar.. Again I did it for 2 years, so it grew and changed through out time..

Just add milled feed, cover with water enough to make oatmeal consistency, and stir a time or two per day.. If . using whole grains.. I'd rather SPROUT them than ferment them.. but each to their own.. and each adventure is worthy in it's own right.. for enrichment purposes of the keeper if NOTHING else! Yes, I grew my own meal worm colony to. NONE of those things are cost saving to ME and ALL of them cost me TIME.. which is the ONE thing I cannot make more of. :cool:

Time it takes to reach a fermented state.. depends on WHAT your fermenting.. milled feed ferments faster.. whole grains ferment slower.. and it ALSO depends on YOUR ambient temperature.. which varies greatly daily during some seasons.. at MY temperatures.. 30 hours is a completely arbitrary #.. it USUALLY took 4 days to reach ferment.. But at 90 to 100 F it would be fermented plenty JUST overnight with a good size "back slop".

Nothing sprouts or fodders in 3 to 7 days here either.. usually not less than 10 for fodder.. I'm sire I already stated that in one of the links though.

My birds turn their nose up a red wigglers from the composting bin.. because they're already abundant here. Each FLOCK also has it's own set of traits that add to or take away from the "pay off" of different adventures.. More wasteful flocks MIGHT save more by fermenting and so on.. so please don't let MY experience stop you from having an adventure of your own EVEN with realistic expectations.. it's okay to get a little variety in life! :thumbsup

Many of the folks touting the FF ALSO select HEAVY for genetic improvement in their flock. I posted links already that show actual studies done under controlled conditions with comparisons made between wet mash, fermented feed with AND without starters, and dry feed.. I took into account an array of things including palatability.. the results are there for anyone who takes the time to look.

End result for ME.. FF, is over rated but fun enrichment for the keeper and the flock alike.. but NOT as full time feed choice. :D

Back
Top Bottom