Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Those eggs are beautiful, and tell me how your doing the dog food.
Thank you!!
wee.gif
We're completely thrilled about our eggs!

I'm just doing the same thing with the dog food that I do with the feed. I put the dog food, dry generic, in a bucket, covered with water, added a glug of ACV, and covered with my daugher's old tights. I just put it in the garage to sit. My kids are ready to feed it to the dog now, but I explained that we had to let it sit to do the fermenting. I will let you know how it looks tomorrow...I told my DH that we need to get a rubber or plastic bowl for the dog. She has a metal bowl now....

Thank you!!
wee.gif
We're completely thrilled about our eggs!

I'm just doing the same thing with the dog food that I do with the feed. I put the dog food, dry generic, in a bucket, covered with water, added a glug of ACV, and covered with my daugher's old tights. I just put it in the garage to sit. My kids are ready to feed it to the dog now, but I explained that we had to let it sit to do the fermenting. I will let you know how it looks tomorrow...I told my DH that we need to get a rubber or plastic bowl for the dog. She has a metal bowl now....
Will be waiting to hear about this ff for dogs.

Quote:
I just did what Bee said: just buy regular store bought apple cider vinegar and add some of my Bragg's to it, leave the cap off and place it in a dark, room-temp place. Within a week you will see the swirl of the mother starting to build in the new jug. If you don't, add some apple juice to it so that the cultures have some sugar to get a boost and it will happen. When you see a new mother forming, you can cap it and store it somewhere out of the sunlight.

I will have to try it.. I hope I am able to get this underway. It all seems so complicated to a extent... :/ I would be able to feed it to all of my birds correct?
Don't make it complicated. Get a bucket, fill it half way with feed, cover the feed with water and add UN ACV. Place something over the bucket like a towel and let it sit for a full day. Stir it the next day and add water if necessary. Add dry feed and water to keep the same level going when you start to feed it.

Don't make it complicated. Get a bucket, fill it half way with feed, cover the feed with water and add UN ACV. Place something over the bucket like a towel and let it sit for a full day. Stir it the next day and add water if necessary. Add dry feed and water to keep the same level going when you start to feed it.

x2

These are one of the new FF feeders my husband made for me

.4 or 6" pvc pipe cut in half w/the top half 8-12" above (to keep them from standing in their feed) This is working very well for me. He also put a small slit in the bottom of the feeder for moisture to drain out.
I don't remember if I got the suggestion for the feeder from this thread or from the ChickenChick on FB.
Don't know if it was from my post 4 weeks ago that you got the idea. Just wanted to say that is the image that I was going for in that post. Except I do not put drainage in mine the chickens eat and drink all. Below is the original post.
I like the way yours came out. These are so easy to build.

Fermented chicken feeder. Take a 4 inch piece of PVC pipe glue end caps on it then cut it in half length ways. mount half to the stand trough side up at the height you want the chickens to eat (I prefer the tops of there backs as the height) Then put the other half piece trough side down above it with about a 6 to 8 inch gap between the top and bottom half. Make the top half so it can be removed to fill the feeder. This makes a trough that the chickens can get there head into to eat but can not get in the food to scratch. They also can not roost on top of the feeder because PVC pipe is slippery so with the dome side up they just slide off.
Mine is like this except suspended by chains from the ceiling with adjustable height no 2x4 stand. Mine is also 5 feet long because I go by the rule of 4 inches of feeder per chicken 5 ft = 60 inches per side times 2 sides = 120 inches + 4 = 30 chickens. The real bottom line is my 31 feed there comfortably.
For those that don't know. To draw a straight line on PVC pipe take a piece of angle iron lay it on the pipe so it looks like an upside down V. That will create a straight edge to draw the line.

Back
Top Bottom