Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Naw...just stir it and see if you can visualize any fluid. If you can, just leave it. Any dry grains will keep wicking that moisture up from beneath and stirring in the top layers each time you feed will keep the top moistened.

Oh I hear ya Bee! I told someone the other day I felt like a 90 year old woman and I'm only 56.
hide.gif
I hear and understand, I started work when I was 13 and worked hard for over 50 years. I did not plan things that I got, I ended up at 50 years old with two badly damaged sons (ex wife), 8 AND 6 and raised them. Tired is when you work for two weeks to save up to take your sons to MacDonalds and I owned a business. Now at 71, retired in Costa Rica I am enjoying what I paid the price for. . . . Ain't it great!

Ok, so I skipped go, and collected $200, but before I go straight to jail, I have questions that probably have been answered.

Oats, corn, and barley are best for fermenting? Or rather, adequate nutrition? I keep these on hand for cows and horses.

If I ferment their layer feeds, what benefit would whole grains offer over layer pellets?

Rosemarie, they really can't use all that protein, especially since they aren't producing anything...my layer mash is 16% and chick starter is usually 18%. Anything beyond that can cause increased uric crystals in the blood because their kidneys cannot handle the protein. Uric crystals settle into distal joints like toes, ankles and knees in poultry and cause joint pain, inflammation and bumble foot if left on this level of protein too long. That's called gout and then infectious gout when it gets infected into bumble foot.

A lot of people blame rocks in their run or free range as causing foot injury that leads to bumble foot, but if flocks are having recurring bouts of bumble foot it most likely is the high protein feeds they are selling now at places like TSC and such.

A farm/ag feed mill mixes for commercial poultry businesses and so they usually mix the minimum protein needed to keep the birds producing well...and the commercial guys are in it to make money, so they feed the minimal amount of protein that will give the maximum amount of yield for layers. I would advise you seek out the local feed mill/store in the area that grinds their own feeds or has them done locally for the freshest feeds with the correct protein percentage.

If 16% is sufficient for high production layers, it is sufficient for our backyard flocks as well because they aren't even laying at high production levels like the battery hens are, nor are they usually high production breeds.

I would find a feed that is no higher than 16-18% and, by fermenting it, it is likely they are actually absorbing most of that percentage...more so than feeding it dry. At 23% plus feeding BOSS, you are giving your birds too much nutrition...it will actually cause the opposite effect of what folks are trying to get. They feed this because they think more protein and fats will make for healthier birds, but feeding that much can actually shorten their lives due to cardiac, liver and kidney issues, cause too much fat deposited around reproductive organs which results in laying issues, and even cause poor ovulation due to the abnormalities in hormone production due to the overweight status.

Just as in humans, if they are lean and fit, they will be healthier, lay better and longer and live longer.

BTW, I LOVE your run...if a bird has to be kept in a run, that would be the one to be kept in! Plenty of room, air, light and low stocking rate is the perfect combination in a coop/run environment. I didn't see if you had shade cloth on it, but if so..even more perfect!
thumbsup.gif
Thank you Bee! Well I am actually thinking of putting some tarps on the run. I have a large shade cloth in one area of it already.
HOW can I reduce the amount of protein in the food since it's like this from the feed store? I guess I need to stop giving them the boss then. I was trying to think what I could add to the mix to lower the protein in the chick starter grower? Do you have any ideas? Don't want them having trouble down the road! :( Is game bird growers lower in protein?
They sure are enjoying all the litter in the run to scratch around in. They have turned it and it's even in places I hadn't even put it yet. lol

I hear and understand, I started work when I was 13 and worked hard for over 50 years. I did not plan things that I got, I ended up at 50 years old with two badly damaged sons (ex wife), 8 AND 6 and raised them. Tired is when you work for two weeks to save up to take your sons to MacDonalds and I owned a business. Now at 71, retired in Costa Rica I am enjoying what I paid the price for. . . . Ain't it great!
I heard that! I'm having some thyroid issues so adrenal fatigue is also part of my problem. Am getting it all worked out finally though I think and have felt a little better for a couple months now. :)

Ok, so I skipped go, and collected $200, but before I go straight to jail, I have questions that probably have been answered.

Oats, corn, and barley are best for fermenting? Or rather, adequate nutrition? I keep these on hand for cows and horses.

If I ferment their layer feeds, what benefit would whole grains offer over layer pellets?

I have cattle and sheep in addition to chickens, so I keep whole grains that I can use for multiple management groups. I prefer those I can grow myself or those I know are gmo free.
So I keep non-gmo corn, field peas, and oats. The corn and peas I crack (I have a small hammermill), and mix with the oats, and ferment. Then I add any other ingredients post ferment... like fish meal, nutribalancer, limestone, etc. Fermenting fish meal smells nasty... not to mention that fermenting the powder ingredients just makes it gunky.

I'm sure if you look back through this thread you will find a lot of folks who are fermenting layer pellets.
I prefer the grains... I like to know exactly what my animals are getting... so I balance my own rations.
There are many opinions and ways to skin this cat... as my husband says, it just depends if you want the skin or the meat. I use 3 five gallon food grade buckets, make sure there is always more liquid than grains, add a little bragg's acv every couple months, and back slop. Works for me. I keep the buckets in my barn feed room covered with a towel. I weigh the FF out each day and use a chart on the wall to know how much premix to add from either the layer premix bucket I keep mixed up, or the chick/meat bird premix bucket. QED - quite easily done.

As to the benefits... there are many places out there to read all about the benefits of fermenting.
A good chicken specific place to start is here...
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

Good luck

Quote:
Thank you Bee! Well I am actually thinking of putting some tarps on the run. I have a large shade cloth in one area of it already.
HOW can I reduce the amount of protein in the food since it's like this from the feed store? I guess I need to stop giving them the boss then. I was trying to think what I could add to the mix to lower the protein in the chick starter grower? Do you have any ideas? Don't want them having trouble down the road! :( Is game bird growers lower in protein?
They sure are enjoying all the litter in the run to scratch around in. They have turned it and it's even in places I hadn't even put it yet. lol

Scratch is lower in protein(8-9%) and sweet feed at tractor supply is 12%. I think I remember your feed being about 20%. If so, a 50/50 mix with 12% will give you 16% overall protein. Or a mix of 35/65 scratch/feed will give you about 16% protein. There's a myriad of ways to lower that protein, and they'll be much cheaper than game bird feed, etc. Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom