Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Here's an interesting tidbit from one of our members who has been doing FF for 2 yrs now and has reported all the wonderful things we all have already noted about the benefits of the FF...and then here's another one....

I wish I had those results this year! lol

What are you people ranting on about?

Jaime is bred and born in North America. He is not Arab. He is not a citizen of the UAE or any Arab country. I believe he got one of his post graduate degrees in London, England. His veterinary degree was earned in North America. He worked at the London (England) Zoo where he was the first person to successfully artificially inseminate a bird. He is the Chairman of the Education and Residency Committee for the European College of Zoological Medicine. He is regularly invited to present research papers at various conferences around the world.

In 2006, Jaime won the T.J. Lafeber Avian Practitioner Award which is awarded for clinical excellence, innovation, contribution to the knowledge base, compassion and the promotion of the profession. He's written many texts on avian and exotic veterinary medicine. I didn't just get an opinion from my regular farm vet--I went to a world famous avian vet who is well respected by other avian vets.

http://www.lafebervet.com/t-j-lafeber-avian-practitioner-award/

You know very little about Gulf Arab society. Very, very little. What has your perceptions of a culture got to do with the opinion of a well respected avian veterinarian?

We can appreciate that you have issues with the practice of caponization and that is most decidedly your right. It's a personal decision for us all. Neutering/castration/caponizing has been a necessary part of livestock husbandry since the beginning of time and so you might appreciate that the method that has been so effective for so long will still be used by those interested in producing meat at home.

We do appreciate that you thought enough about the readers of this thread to present an opposing opinion on the practice, but it might be more appropriate if the topic had its own thread and then you could merely post the link to your thread here for all those who would enjoy hearing your views on the topic.

Last edited:
bow.gif
I bow down to the Master! I didn't go back far enough!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Lisa :)
You're most welcome, Ma'am!!! Hope you feel better.....

Normally I would not have minded the high boy ratio, just more volunteers for the soup pot, however w/ my huge flock loss I could have used many more females this time.
I definitely understand that. Did anything come of that other possible source for breeders?

I definitely understand that. Did anything come of that other possible source for breeders?

Not the local Oklahoma source, it fell through, but still a possibility on the Arkansas source, and if all else fails I will order chicks from Nava, they do not have the same genetics I am working with, but she as a good size and I could still add the genetics (sc and fm) from what I still have from my flock genetics.

Ok, so I'm off thread for a few days, and things blow up. NOT going to catch up. Just gonna start here.

Wondering if I could get a little nudge. Took in some 4 mos old Crm Legbar cockerels, was going to eat them Unfortunately, both expired in quick succession. Autopsy showed me the first fatal cases of some sort of worm I've ever actually seen. None showed up in feces, but when I squeezed out the upper intestine and cut open the gizzard, there were easily 100 worms. They were white, and wiry, almost 2" long didn't move much unless I cut at one. EW. The cockerels were separate, so am hoping the others have not been exposed. The legbars went into a breeding pen that no one has ever stayed in before. Don't know whether the worm load made them weak (I thought the hearts seemed a bit small) or if they were weak, so the worm load got to them.
And no, I didn't take pictures, and couldn't figure out how to not gum up my phone camera since I was by myself on this one.

I don't think I'll be bringing new stock unless it's eggs for a while. I'm almost at that magic number for WA state certification. Annoying bureaucrats.
-Aleta

Ok, so I'm off thread for a few days, and things blow up. NOT going to catch up. Just gonna start here.

Wondering if I could get a little nudge. Took in some 4 mos old Crm Legbar cockerels, was going to eat them Unfortunately, both expired in quick succession. Autopsy showed me the first fatal cases of some sort of worm I've ever actually seen. None showed up in feces, but when I squeezed out the upper intestine and cut open the gizzard, there were easily 100 worms. They were white, and wiry, almost 2" long didn't move much unless I cut at one. EW. The cockerels were separate, so am hoping the others have not been exposed. The legbars went into a breeding pen that no one has ever stayed in before. Don't know whether the worm load made them weak (I thought the hearts seemed a bit small) or if they were weak, so the worm load got to them.
And no, I didn't take pictures, and couldn't figure out how to not gum up my phone camera since I was by myself on this one.

I don't think I'll be bringing new stock unless it's eggs for a while. I'm almost at that magic number for WA state certification. Annoying bureaucrats.
-Aleta
Were they anything like this?

roundworms.jpg

These are roundworms.

Your description doesn't sound quite like these, but I think 3 inches is the maximum length.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom