Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

2 week ferment with minimum added for that time, a little of each ingredient to keep my % strong, its in a cold room that while it may not freeze slows down the ferment a lot and it takes time to get it up to "summer strength" when i add water its always hot tap... theres pumpkin, zucchini, squash< (all whole for a week with a hole then cut up and mixed, so all the seeds are in there too)BOSS, whole corn, cracked corn, barley, oats, alfalfa pellets, game fish chow, i think thats it this time :p this pic is before its mixed after setting 16hrs untouched

after a little mix, all the goodies come to the surface... it smells like dinner :p

I put it on the stove in the AM before i feed cause its below zero and feeding cold food to cold birds is not ideal, so they get a hot steamy breakfast :) even the rabbits like to steal some ;)

OK I have a dumb question.... Can I feed FF to the goats?

a couple of years ago I was in a pinch for a feeder for the chickens so I just filled a big tub with lay pellets At the time I was going up to the house every three days. Did I mention I get gully washers up in the desert in the summer.... they last for about ten minutes knock the dust down and disappear.

It filled my chickens feed tub. and by the time I got there it was just a bubbling away. I thought OMG I wasted a tub full of feed by not getting it under cover better. I dragged the tub out to dump it and had to fight the goats off it... they were grabbing huge mouthfulls of it. Now these guys are FAR from being hungry or thin.

I would love it if they can.

deb

We got snow, nope not a lot but down here this made all the school districts shut down! SNOW day with the kids

A snow day??? Silly people! We didn't get the snow but I do have a bit of ice. I went outside at 5 AM to feed the flock and there was a smidgeon of ice on the gates and the barn. I went back around 8 to let them out to free range and the hook and eye on the gate was frozen solid. But I persevered and broke my way through the ice and freed my flock! How is that for excitement?
ya.gif

They are staying close to the coop except for a few. Two of my BR like to lay their eggs in the smithy. One lays on my DH's workbench and the other lays in his forge. (Talk about a ready made breakfast). Of course the 3rd one is the one everyone picks on. She is a SS. She is the smallest and the sweetest. I am keeping an eye on her. Yesterday when it was raining, I went out to check on them and they were all in the smithy except for Molly (SS). They wouldn't let her in. There are 3 ways to enter the bldg. and she has to pick a door they aren't watching. Chickens and their pecking orders!

Stay warm and safe everyone!

Lisa :)

Quote: I here yo u--- the mouse is released into our hay"shed" with food. Lots of hay to snuggle into.

However, since we are trapping night after night-- I"m willing to bet you are right and they are finding thier way back. I will show this post to DH and try to convince him that a kill trap is better.

He is a softy, and won't kill anything unless it is a euthansia situation.

Oh my Rachael that's just a dusting for us. Heck some people would be still wearing shorts
big_smile.png

DH is running around in a short sleeve shirt
hmm.png
. In all fairness to us Texans, there is a lot of ice under that dusting, that is why everything is shut down, I was just having a bit of fun
wink.png
. We don't have the equipment to deal with the ice.

Don't feel bad...they close school now just because of how cold it is! And that's when kids don't even have to walk to school or wait at a central bus house for the buses to come! They never closed school when I was little for such nonsense and all the kids in the neighborhood had to walk to the same bus house so the bus didn't have to make so many stops...and we had to walk a mile to the hard road to even get to the bus house.

Everyone is just a weenie now and that's a fact~doesn't matter what part of the country you live. When I was in 5th grade it snowed so bad it covered our house to the eaves and we had to make a hole to climb out of and slide down into your home...and they never closed the schools that day.

Quote:

This is something I would not do...steamy hot can kill all the good microbes you are wanting to feed there. I've even killed the yeast while bread making by making the tap water too hot and that's some pretty active yeast.

Room temp FF is just fine...when I take mine out to the coop it's steaming from just being that warm and the chooks are gobbling it up just fine. Wet feed that is room temp is not cold or too cold for them. When it gets in their crops it continues to ferment in that warm environment and generates some measure of heat on its own, so it's fully warm before it ever hits the inside of their body.

@Arielle... Those mice are probably beating you back to where you caught them,. lol About like my 50 pound dog that I put in a cattle panel pen. He went through the holes in the cattle panel and beat me back to the house! LOL

Back
Top Bottom