Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I've never used corridor. The youngest chicks I had were 5 weeks old. They were in quarantine from my main flock but on the ground where my other chickens had been. Never had a problem with them

Quick question. My babies are 3 weeks old and still in brooder. I put dirt in there also from the first. Should I assume that I won't need to worry about using Corid for prevention? Just worried. New Mama after all.
lau.gif

On another note, all you gardeners, this is a favorite site of mine. Thought this might interest you.

http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2014...someone-you-know-a-garden-plan-we-can-all-do/

Corid is only used as a treatment, not for prevention. That would be a mistake, IMO, to give a broad spectrum drug like that as a preventative. Your giving early exposure to the coccidia oocysts in your soils and the FF are prevention enough.

Corid is only used as a treatment, not for prevention. That would be a mistake, IMO, to give a broad spectrum drug like that as a preventative. Your giving early exposure to the coccidia oocysts in your soils and the FF are prevention enough.

Yes, this is why I ask the question. One the corid site they said to treat for 5 days but for a prevention use it for like 20 days. Now does this even sound feasible? I'm supplying dirt but they are 3 wks old and still in brooder. Horrible rain storms have kept me from getting them outside. Glad I ask. I hope to never have to open that bottle.
big_smile.png

Yes, this is why I ask the question. One the corid site they said to treat for 5 days but for a prevention use it for like 20 days. Now does this even sound feasible? I'm supplying dirt but they are 3 wks old and still in brooder. Horrible rain storms have kept me from getting them outside. Glad I ask. I hope to never have to open that bottle.
big_smile.png

I'd PLAN on never opening a medicine bottle and do all the things you can naturally to prevent it and then you will never HAVE to use medicine. That's how I keep healthy flocks...I plan for health, I expect health~not plan for illness or expect illness~ and so I never buy meds "just in case" nor will I resort to giving them. I make sure they live in a healthy environment, I keep a fairly closed flock and I build strong immune systems. Those things should see you through and has worked for me and my family for generations.

Of course, those methods are not for everyone~some like the seeming insurance of having meds on hand~ but I'll tout them until my dying day because they do work and work well.

Lots and lots of great info but....... What is a "mother"?? Been reading for an hour and found lots of references to it but never a detailed explanation of what a " mother " is. Thanks in advance for humoring me.

Lots and lots of great info but....... What is a "mother"?? Been reading for an hour and found lots of references to it but never a detailed explanation of what a " mother " is. Thanks in advance for humoring me.

This is the best description I could find.

The ‘mother’ is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria
Hope this helps

This is the best description I could find.

The ‘mother’ is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria
Hope this helps
Here is another definition from Wikipedia:

Mother of vinegar[1] - also called Mycoderma aceti (a New Latin expression, from the Greek μὑκης (fungus) plus δἐρμα (skin), and the Latin aceti (of the acid)[2] - is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar.
Mother of vinegar can also form in store-bought vinegar if there is some non-fermented sugar and/or alcohol contained in the vinegar. This is more common in unpasteurized vinegar. While not appetizing in appearance, mother of vinegar is completely harmless and the surrounding vinegar does not have to be discarded because of it. It can be filtered out using a coffee filter, used to start a bottle of vinegar, or simply left in and ignored

Thank you for the assistance, especially the pics as I am a visual learner! I have never heard of the stuff. I will look for it next trip to the store.

Thank you for the assistance, especially the pics as I am a visual learner! I have never heard of the stuff. I will look for it next trip to the store.

I took some regular cheap pasteurized apple cider vinegar and added a little natural unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (with mother) and this grew. That is the fermented good stuff.

Not sure what the disk would be called, maybe a scoby...?

Last edited:
Hi guys

I started reading this thread at page one - am currently on post 5099 (I am either methodical or anal - take your pick
wink.png
) where PetRock posted a video on Korean natural farming/making LAB she got the link from another member on here I believe.

I've just watched this video - and its blown my mind
ep.gif
th.gif
love.gif
ya.gif

I am going to stop typing now - and start my very first batch of LAB. It is a probiotic, smell killer, soil enhancer, plant friend, animal friend, killer of salmonella and e-coli - the list goes on and on.

How did I get to be 63 years of age and not know about this before now???????????
he.gif

Can I please thank the original poster of this fantastic bit of invaluable informative video
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom