adna40082

Chirping
Dec 15, 2019
Columbia, IL
Hi! I had some questions about fermenting whole grains. I couldn't really find anything specific on it but I heard that whole grains need different fermenting techniques than crumbles and pellets? I tried fermenting before and the next day it had mold on it. Does the batch need to be completely covered or sealed? What grains work best and which ones won't work at all? How long do I have to ferment whole grains? Do I have to restart every time or can I backslop? Sorry for all the questions I was getting a lot of different answers and it was hard to find specific information on this. Thanks.

Interesting topic! I tried to ferment cracked corn for my ducks in spring with very mixed results, sometimes it started to rot, but most disappointing, my ducks didn't liked it.
:caf

Have you tried fermenting other feed for your ducks? I'm only asking because I have three ducks and I'm wondering if they would like fermented feed. I know chickens do but I'm hoping that my ducks will as well.

Does the batch need to be completely covered or sealed?
It needs to be covered with water, with a loose lid (NOT sealed; you want yeasts in the air to be able to get in, and gas from the ferment to be able to get out).

What grains work best and which ones won't work at all?
I use wheat, barley, corn, and oats. I cannot say what won't work, but I can say those grains do.

How long do I have to ferment whole grains?
As soon as you can see bubbles forming between the grains (easiest if you're doing it in a Kilner jar or similar) you know it is fermenting. Around 3 days for first ferment is common. You can speed it up by mixing a spoonful of natural (live) yogurt with the water at the start.

Do I have to restart every time or can I backslop?
If you extract the grains with a slotted spoon or suchlike and then top up the liquor with fresh water and new grains, it may be ready next day, so you can keep going very easily with 2 or more jars (1 to use and 1 to brew each day).

It is normal to get a sort of white/cream-coloured webbing over the top once the ff gets going; this is a beneficial yeast and should be stirred in to the mix. Anything grey and furry is mould and should be binned.

Good luck!

I ferment whole grain mash but I can't imagine it's too different from using your own grain mix. The grains in my feed are wheat, barley and peas.

I leave mine in an open jar (you can cover partially or cover with cheesecloth if you have a problem with pests like fruit flies). I backslop and only start a completely fresh batch maybe once a month or so, when I clean out my jar.

Are you sure it was mold on the batch and not yeast? Seems unusual to see mold in only a day. I only get mold when it gets pretty hot, and it's still a rare occurrence then. Mold is fuzzy, yeast is usually more like a scum on top. Google mold vs scoby for images.

It needs to be covered with water, with a loose lid (NOT sealed; you want yeasts in the air to be able to get in, and gas from the ferment to be able to get out).

I use wheat, barley, corn, and oats. I cannot say what won't work, but I can say those grains do.

As soon as you can see bubbles forming between the grains (easiest if you're doing it in a Kilner jar or similar) you know it is fermenting. Around 3 days for first ferment is common. You can speed it up by mixing a spoonful of natural (live) yogurt with the water at the start.

If you extract the grains with a slotted spoon or suchlike and then top up the liquor with fresh water and new grains, it may be ready next day, so you can keep going very easily with 2 or more jars (1 to use and 1 to brew each day).

It is normal to get a sort of white/cream-coloured webbing over the top once the ff gets going; this is a beneficial yeast and should be stirred in to the mix. Anything grey and furry is mould and should be binned.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! A couple more questions, I also heard that you have to stir two times a day is that true? Would have I have to do that for the first few days when I first start and what temp is best to keep the container in?

Back
Top Bottom