Fertile egg???

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
These are pullet eggs that our red star, Cinnamon, laid. Yes, I know they aren't good for hatching, since they are pullet eggs, but the egg that doesn't have the broken yolk sack looks like it's fertile! Cinnamon does share a coop with 3 other girls, and one RIR rooster. Look closely and you can see the germinal spot:
(Kinda blurry, but see the white circle in the very center of the yolk?
14678_chicken_pics_034.jpg

Its awful blurry and the spot is close to the flash. Really hard to tell... does it look like rings around a white spot. Like saturn with rings? Then it would be fertile.

Quote:
Yep. It's not just a little speck. It's more like a circle, and I'm pretty sure it's fertile. Just wanted to see what all the experts here on BYC thought!
wink.png
So they aren't good for hatching, since they are pullet eggs???
LOL Melilem. No, they aren't Foghorns. The buffs that he is with aren't laying yet. Cinnamon(the red star) is laying now and she is with the RIR rooster, so it's him.
tongue.png

I think that hatching pullet eggs is a matter if opinion. I have hatched them before, but I think sometimes they do not hatch properly.

If you could get a clear photo of the spot, it might help. All eggs have the white spot... what indicates that it's fertile is a ring around it. Like saturn, or a bulls-eye.

I think that a lot of people forego hatching pullet eggs because they're so small. Larger eggs give the chick a better chance. But if your pullet is laying full sized eggs, then there shouldn't be any problem hatching them if they're fertile.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom