my eggs are grey.. are they ok?

dontask3019

Hatching
Jul 17, 2023
its day 24 in the incubator and i noticed one of my duck eggs has turned dark greyish. when i candle the egg the air sack is big then there is like a layer of yolk then the red veiny part takes up the rest of the egg (like 80% of the egg) is there something wrong with it? under regular lights the egg looks like its just a shade or two darker then the other eggs and the pattern is grey on top and bottom with a clearer circle in the middle. please help

They are fine. the chick in the egg are darker then the egg shell. Please don't do anything drastic.
dont worry im not doing anything crazy. i had 5 ducks and something got 2 of them so i gathered the eggs they laid and bought a incubator. i have been relying on google until i saw the yellow yolk like area then i couldnt find anything on google about that. so i panicked. i have been turning them at 7 am 3 pm and 11 pm everyday. do u think that is too much?

dont worry im not doing anything crazy. i had 5 ducks and something got 2 of them so i gathered the eggs they laid and bought a incubator. i have been relying on google until i saw the yellow yolk like area then i couldnt find anything on google about that. so i panicked. i have been turning them at 7 am 3 pm and 11 pm everyday. do u think that is too much?
Turning three times a day is the minimum. Actually, at this point you can probably stop turning (unless they are Muscovy that take 35 days).

i smelled the egg it doesnt have a bad smell. how long would it take to start smelling?

Depends on the environment and what causes an egg to go bad. You will probably smell it upon opening the incubator.

If you ever do get an egg that goes bad, don't leave it on the counter and forget about it. Trust me, you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night trying to figure out where that nauseating smell is coming from! Yes, I speak from experience. lol

Turning three times a day is the minimum. Actually, at this point you can probably stop turning (unless they are Muscovy that take 35 days).

Depends on the environment and what causes an egg to go bad. You will probably smell it upon opening the incubator.

If you ever do get an egg that goes bad, don't leave it on the counter and forget about it. Trust me, you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night trying to figure out where that nauseating smell is coming from! Yes, I speak from experience. lol
they are mallards i think. we had a buff duck a pekin 2 mallards and a solid black duck.

Do you have a strong flashlight to “candle” the egg?
Your phone light -may- work if that is all you have, but you are going to need to move quickly to a dark area and see if the baby is moving still.
If your temp in the ‘bator wasn’t confirmed w an additional thermometer, the baby -may- be trying to hatch sooner than expected. It may need assistance.
(Search here for assisted hatch, or DM me...)
Intervening too soon causes problems as well....
Personally. I would pull the egg quickly. Candle to look for activity. No more turning. The babies need to get orientated to hatch and turning eggs at late stages makes it harder for them.

What is the temp and humidity in your ‘bator?
Do you have an extra thermometer/ hygrometer to verify what the incubator readout is “saying”?

Do you have a strong flashlight to “candle” the egg?
Your phone light -may- work if that is all you have, but you are going to need to move quickly to a dark area and see if the baby is moving still.
If your temp in the ‘bator wasn’t confirmed w an additional thermometer, the baby -may- be trying to hatch sooner than expected. It may need assistance.
(Search here for assisted hatch, or DM me...)
Intervening too soon causes problems as well....
Personally. I would pull the egg quickly. Candle to look for activity. No more turning. The babies need to get orientated to hatch and turning eggs at late stages makes it harder for them.

What is the temp and humidity in your ‘bator?
Do you have an extra thermometer/ hygrometer to verify what the incubator readout is “saying”?
the temp has been on a steady 100 degrees and the humidity has been between 45 and 65 %. i do not have an extra one i didnt know i would need one. i can see light movement in the eggs but this one is the only one who has the yellow layer of yolk looking stuff between the red and the air sack

Back
Top Bottom