Fertile eggs not developing...

jmead2003

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
We have a polish crested rooster who does his duties as rooster. We are on our second round of eggs in the incubator. The first dozen we put in the bator, there was no development. So after 6 days I pulled all the eggs out and started cracking. 7 out of the 12 were fertile, but it was nothing but yolk and white in the egg. So we tried again, we are now on day 4 of the new eggs in the bator and as of early this A.M. there is nothing going on inside the eggs.
So is it something we are doing wrong that the fertile are not developing? We take them still warm from the nest box and put them in the bator. The bator is set at 99.5 on the dot and 45-50% humidity. Or, could this mean there is something wrong with our rooster? If the rooster is infertile, would the eggs still have the little spot on them that indicates they are fertile? Any help is appreciated!!

Hi, there!
smile.png

I am very new to this incubation tecnique myself, but I think I can offer some help:
Are the eggs being turned? (I just know they should be turned, not really how often..)
idunno.gif

Sometimes I think its okay for the eggs to start developing a little later.
How many hens / 1 roo?
Other than those variables, it sounds like you are doing it right to me!
I really hope this helps you out!

Are you sure the eggs are fertile? The white so\pot should appear as a tiny donut. (hole in the middle). If you cracked the eggs & there was no development, the eggs were not fertile. Even if you rooster is breeding with the hens, it doesn't mean he is fertile. He may be young or he may not be fertile yet. Some Roosters take longer to become fertile than others

Our incubator has an auto egg turner, so we are good there! The spot in the yolk is donut shaped or like a bullseye. We have 7 hens to 1 roo. Roo is coming up on a year. I'm guessing it must mean he isn't fertile?!?!

Don't lose hope yet. Early on day 4 is still pretty early and it can be difficult to see development when candling. Try again on day 7 and hopefully you'll see some progress!!

We have a polish crested rooster who does his duties as rooster. We are on our second round of eggs in the incubator. The first dozen we put in the bator, there was no development. So after 6 days I pulled all the eggs out and started cracking. 7 out of the 12 were fertile, but it was nothing but yolk and white in the egg. So we tried again, we are now on day 4 of the new eggs in the bator and as of early this A.M. there is nothing going on inside the eggs.
So is it something we are doing wrong that the fertile are not developing? We take them still warm from the nest box and put them in the bator. The bator is set at 99.5 on the dot and 45-50% humidity. Or, could this mean there is something wrong with our rooster? If the rooster is infertile, would the eggs still have the little spot on them that indicates they are fertile? Any help is appreciated!!

I realize this thread is from back in March, but did you ever find out what was up with your eggs? In having the same problem right now with my Silkie eggs. My hen finally started laying a couple of weeks ago and I've been wanting to hatch eggs from her. I've checked her eggs for fertile spots now twice and have seen the bullseye on both eggs. First 4 eggs I threw in with my first batch to hatch, nothing developed. I have two in there now that are day 4 and nothing! I just don't get it.

You know, we never did figure out what the problem was. That rooster was terribly mean so we butchered him and started over with a couple buff orpington roo's. One got carried away by a hawk but the other is just the sweetest thing. We are thinking the roo was not fertile. We have since then incubated many a guinea egg with great results. So that would likely rule out any issues with the incubator. Our buff roo has been doing his duties and it looks as though the egg have been fertilized, but we won't know for sure til spring when we incubate! I would suggest trying another roo!

SIlkies can have fertility issues due to fluff.
plucK the feathers around the vent so the parts can kiss ( thats the technical term even!) and try again in a few weeks. Have you see your rooster doing his business?

SIlkies can have fertility issues due to fluff.
plucK the feathers around the vent so the parts can kiss ( thats the technical term even!) and try again in a few weeks. Have you see your rooster doing his business?
My roo is doing his job, I've seen him in action and I've cracked open the eggs prior to incubating and they were fertile according to the little "bullseye" mark on them. It's just weird.

Back
Top Bottom