Fertile eggs sold in supermarket

Quote:
The box doesn't state the breed. But they are darker than RIR eggs and almost look "tinted". Kinda orangy brown.
lol.png
Geez...wonder if the paint them???
lau.gif

I've hatched a ton of eggs and never saw quite this color before.
barnie.gif

I have been reading a few posts on here about fertile eggs from the grocery store. I was pretty stunned as well to hear that you could do that.

THEN. I made breakfast this morning with some eggs that I had bought from Costco (dang chickens aren't laying so well right now :-( I noticed that every single one of those eggs had that telltale white spot on the yolk. Isn't that the sign of a fertile vs non-fertile egg??

These eggs were not labeled fertile, free roaming, etc. Just regular grocery store white.

The next hen that goes broody will be sitting on a few of those just to try it out.

Also, the sell by date was Feb 11th. I think I read on here that means they were laid 30 days prior to that date?? These eggs were only 4 days old when I bought them??? Right???

The eggs I just bought from the grocery (darn freeloading chickens) have an exp date of Feb. 6. The last 3 numbers on the line below the date are 358. That means they were collected (not necessarily laid) on the 358th day of the year, or December 24. So on Feb. 6 they will be about 6 weeks old. Best hatch rate will be within a week of when they were laid. but you never know how many will hatch, really, unless you try.

People have bought ordinary eggs, the inexpensive kind, and hatched at least a few of them.

A fertile egg has not just a white spot; they all have that. If it is fertile it will have a bullseye, or a white spot inside a white spot. Like this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Lots more info linked in the sticky at the top of the incubating eggs section.

We have 2 eggs incubating right now that we got from the local co-op. There were three, but one was a dud so we tossed it. The other two are developing well. These, too, had an expiration of Feb 6. Didn't look to see when they were gathered, though. We set them on the 9th, so they have been incubating for about a week.

So, don't count store bought eggs out. The only thing is, as Forrest Gump would say, "They are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get."

Quote:
I would guess that they are playing on the "organic free range" angle. Not saying that it is not better for the hens but I am saying it is all about marketing. I would agree that most people in the grocery stores buying eggs are probably not looking for fertile eggs. I don't think we have them here in Utah unless I want to try free range and see what happens.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. I do believe I saw the bullseye within the bullseye, but I will look harder when I crack more open :)

Does having a rooster around help keep the hens motivated to lay more? Something about hormones maybe? Just curious if that is why some grocery store eggs end up being fertile. My husband seems to think a Roo is kept around to keep the hens in line. I told him it that hens developed their own pecking orders and didn't need the roo.

Anyone care to clear this up for me? Thanks!!

And I am SO going to hatch some grocery store eggs next :)

Back
Top Bottom