Fertilizer Suggestions

The poo that comes off my board is mostly poo.

BUT... I did think of another way to *possibly* get a clue about your soil ph in general.. I'm thinking see what grows there without your help. Here blackberries proliferate! :barnie

That indicates acidic...

And add to that we got coastal redwoods and those like acidic soil as well. Hmm, thinking even more... Sitca spruce also prefer acidic! And I've got too many of those.

By the powers of reasonable deduction (my favorite skill to work on) I can say that my soil falls somewhere on the acidic side.

OK, over thinker here... and sometimes proud of it. :oops: I'm gonna go ahead and go one step farther. I do have all those plants..

"Sitka spruce also requires deep, moist, well-aerated soils that are acidic (pH values of 3.9 to 5.7) (2)"

"Redwoods prefer slightly acidic soil (pH 5.5 - 6.0)."

"Blackberries, like most fruits and vegetables, prefer neutral or mildly acidic soil, with an ideal pH range between 5.5 and 7.0."

So I'm THINKING my soil (if not brought in like my raised beds), is about 5.5 -ish. ;)

Ya catchin' my drift here? :pop

I still out some chicken droppings in my beds and such in the off season and mix them in. I also mix crushed egg shells, though I don't know if it will break down really or not. Anyways, sometimes paying attention to the plant or fruit can tell you a lot about what it needs. And thankfully we can look up our descriptions and see what it might be.

I usually compost kitchen waste in a hole and mix in for planting when it's ready. It's just not always enough if you're doing a big project at once. But so fun to see the black soil.

Sorry, long time, no post! So I see the general consensus is a no, so I'll start scouting out compost or soil testing services. Should I just throw the manure out or could I use it for anything? Recommendations on compost brands? Thanks for all your help!

You have the makings for a perfect compost. Simply start layering it up: a layer of poo between layers of hay/straw/leaves. Moisten it as you go, make the pile about 3' x 3' x 3' or bigger, and let it cook. No need to buy compost. Your compost should be about as wet as a wrung out sponge.

I would spread it on the garden, turn everything under and start planting in 2-3 weeks. Start a compost pile near your garden that you place the new chicken manure, weeds, yard and kitchen waste in for next year's garden. Throw it out? You're killing me.

You took the words out of my mouth!

I know I hate to waste it! But I have a feeling it won't break down.

Have faith, Davi. I suggest that you go for a walk in the woods. Look at the debris on the forest floor. Then, get down on your hands and knees, and move the top layer aside. What do you see? I'm betting you see soft spongy black humus. Pick up a fist full and smell it. It smells like sweet fragrant compost! And, that's what your chicken poo mixed with leaves, hay, straw, garden debris, grass clippings will turn into. Sweet, fragrant, black gold!

Back
Top Bottom