Few Questions About Automatic Doors

3rdtimesacharm

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
Hi There!

I'm bound and determined to make Fort Knox. We lost our chickens twice now, first time to a raccoon, and the second time to a fox. So, this time my husband has really put the time into a new and improved coop. I'm looking at automatic doors. And gosh do I want one!!! But, they're pretty high priced.

I found one on eBay (sorry if you're trying to buy!!) but there aren't returns, and I know nothing about automatic doors, so I'm curious about thoughts on the ChickenGuard opener and door. Anyone use this door? Can you tell me pros and cons? And if you're not using it, which one are you using, or does anyone know where I could find people selling used openers/doors? I looked with no luck on Craigslist. eBay isn't the same as I remember from 10 years ago. I'm just not sure. Help!

Thanks!

I have the ChickenGuard Premium and it is well worth the money. However, I do not have the self-locking door and I wish I did. But I do not have raccoons or other predators that can reach their grimy little paws under the edge of the metal door and raise it. I did install it where the edge of the metal goes way down underneath a wooden frame though.

If I were you, I would continue to securely open and lock their pop door each am and pm until you can save the money to purchase the premium door with self-locking door. Trust me, it will be a purchase well made.

Thanks! I could have bid by 2pm in eBay for a ChickenGuard one. Probably sold for a lot I'm sure. I just went ahead and bought this one, it can be returned for 30 days, it's got a yr warranty. That ChickenGuard one, while new had no protections,I wasn't comfortable.

My coop design is such that it's off the ground about 2.5' and the run extends underneath the coop. Once it's complete I'll share pics, but nothing can get in (knock on wood) to reach the door. The door is mainly for the gang, so they can go out and to bed in case I'm busy or asleep.

Thanks! I could have bid by 2pm in eBay for a ChickenGuard one. Probably sold for a lot I'm sure. I just went ahead and bought this one, it can be returned for 30 days, it's got a yr warranty. That ChickenGuard one, while new had no protections,I wasn't comfortable.

My coop design is such that it's off the ground about 2.5' and the run extends underneath the coop. Once it's complete I'll share pics, but nothing can get in (knock on wood) to reach the door. The door is mainly for the gang, so they can go out and to bed in case I'm busy or asleep.
Which one did you purchase?

Do they have automatic doors where there is a remote control that you can press to open and close? If not, they should.

Back
Top Bottom