Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch81, May 27, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chirping

May 23, 2011
    Cranberrycreek- I had to laugh when I saw your signature line. My husband's hobby is african cichlids, I can't even begin to count how many tanks he has around here, but I think there are 7 just in the main and upper stories of the house.

2. kannna

kannna Songster

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    "set" a bunch of eggs under Broody Doris last night. Is this an incubator only hatchalong? Or are Broodies welcome too?

3. stitch81

stitch81 Chirping

May 23, 2011
    All are welcome! This is my first hatch attempt, and I wanted the company.

4. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chirping

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:Hey Mmmaddie13!

Welcome to the hatchalong. I've marans in my bator too! It's also my first time with this breed - or any breed when it comes to incubating. My marans are wheatons. Love the dark chocolate eggs!(but they sure are hard to candle, lol).

I hope you have a great hatch.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Songster

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Good luck everyone. This will be my third hatch. It will also be my biggest. I have 24 set in my Brinsea ECO 20.
    [​IMG]

6. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    Berthoud, CO

Welcome to the hatchalong. I've marans in my bator too! It's also my first time with this breed - or any breed when it comes to incubating. My marans are wheatons. Love the dark chocolate eggs!(but they sure are hard to candle, lol).

Thank you! Same to you. [​IMG] I sure hope I get at least one splash.... [​IMG]

7. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chirping

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX

Thank you! Same to you. [​IMG] I sure hope I get at least one splash.... [​IMG]

I wish you lived closer. I've got three splash that don't really fit into my program. I want to have blue, wheaten, and blue wheaten.

Vickie

8. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    Berthoud, CO
    Quote:Thank you! Same to you. [​IMG] I sure hope I get at least one splash.... [​IMG]

I wish you lived closer. I've got three splash that don't really fit into my program. I want to have blue, wheaten, and blue wheaten.

Vickie

Dang. [​IMG] Thanks, though!

9. rsarns

rsarns Chirping

Apr 25, 2011
    I have 18 (plus any extra's) coming on Tuesday, should put them in the incubator on Wednesday. First hatch attempt for me..... THey are all BCM's, wish me luck!

10. matlock585

matlock585 Songster

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I want to warn you all about keeping the humidity too high. I have 5 EE eggs in a home made beer cooler incubator. I have a fan and my temp stays pretty steady, but I targeted 50% humidity for the first week and a half. After candling, I decided the air pockets looked too small so I upped humidity to target 60% and I think that was a big mistake. Now tomorrow is my 14th day and my eggs all have air pockets that look closer to seven days. I just went and sucked out water from the bowl with a straw and now I have the humidity down to 45%, but I'm gonna let it get real low while I'm home this weekend to monitor progress. All you first timers like me will be surprised how consuming incubation is. It's all I think about, and I'm sure my coworkers are sick of hearing about it.
    Hope you all get good hatches. And keep that humidity under control.
    Good luck to all...
    Sam [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: