Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

Wow, we're getting quite a clutch of firsttimers and experienced hatchers. Just think of alll the little fuzzybutts we'll be posting pictures of in a few weeks.

Stitch-you going to get some sleep tonight?

I am chewing my nails. Had to go out of town this weekend so I'm not around to stand guard over my bator. I am so nervous!

I think they should change the name from Hovabator to HoverBator --- because of our tendency to hover over the thing for 21 days!

well i missed the friday start but i did set some to day got 24 mutt eggs in the bator now i ste them at 6 tonight and at 10:30 when i checked the temp on the bator was back up to 99,4 so its close to being back up to the 99.7 its been holding lets see how this hatch goes its my first one

i set my eggs on the 3rd at 10am, may i join? i have 18 divided between two bators. i am so eggcited about this hatch!
wee.gif

Quote:
I doubt it, at least not more than an hour or so at a time. I'm completely paranoid now about leaving the incubator alone. I had to go to town for a couple hours this afternoon, and all I could think of was "I've got to hurry back to the incubator!" Of course, when I got home, the temps were still stable. Go figure. My husband turned the temperature in the house down a degree and that seems to have helped stabilize things as well. Weird. You wouldn't think that one degree in the house would have that much effect on the temps in the incubator.

On the good news side... I candled a few eggs. One I could have sworn I saw the blood ring, and on another I thought I saw veining! I'm hoping this wasn't just wishful thinking on my part, but it went a long way towards calming me down.

I kept myself busy today by working on the coop. We are very nearly ready for siding, shingling, and installing the hardware cloth! We just have to put up plywood on the back outside and the bottom half of the west side. Oh, we have to build two doors as well, but hey, we're making serious progress for only starting the construction a week ago. The kids have been really eager to help with the build, I told them they could be in charge of painting the interior of the coop. They loved that idea and are impatiently waiting for us to finish our work so they can start theirs.

So happy that things are looking up Stitch.

I candled my eggs day 4 but I still couldn't see veining at all. They have a large dark area at the top and the bottom is lighter so I am hoping that means that they are good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Good Morning fellow hatchers!!!

wee.gif
I'm doing the happy dance this morning!!! I candled all 26 eggs this morning (this is the end of day 3 for me). I set 5 Rhode Island Reds, all of them are showing the veining! 7 Barred Rocks, all of them are showing veining, 7 Buff Orpingtions, 4 I could see veining, 3 I wasn't sure about as the shells are hard to see into. & last but not least 7 Welsummer, now these i'm just not sure about. The shells are darker brown and very hard to see into, but I'm going to assume they are developing the same as all the others. So, out of 26 eggs, on day three I have 17 that are most definately developing, and 9 that I am unsure of just because of dark shells.
wee.gif

Oh, and despite getting up several times during the night to check the incubator, the temp remained stable...go figure.

Last edited:
Im a few days late but id like to join too!! Ill have blue wheaten ameraucana eggs tomorrow from jean ribbeck (aka pips&peeps) and some OE's from Patty Carson soon after that. These will be my first chickens AND my first hatch. Needless to say I'm ecstatic
celebrate.gif

Ahahaha I just noticed that I have the same user name as the OP!! Im sending you perfect hatch waves from the chicken gods, us stitches gotta stick together afterall
wink.png

Happy hatching everyone!

Last edited:
Just set my eggs! 3 BCM, 2 RIR, 3 Welsummer, 2 Golden Polish, 2 EE, 2 Austalorp, and a few others. (it was a hatching egg grab bag situation). Anywhoo, I'm very nervous, hearing that you saw veining this morning makes me excited!

i am trying to wait for day 7 to candle. it's so hard! i don't think i will be able to see much in the marans or ameraucana eggs anyway.

I just set 47 eggs in my homemade incubator for my last hatch of the year. I have 12+ EE's 11 WLRC and the rest are mix of what every I bought. Hatch day should be 6-26 but with my last hatch I had most of them hatch early. I just put in a new thermostat so that my temp will be more steady.

Back
Top Bottom