Finally caught the mystery 'beast'

For those of you who have the need to handle owls or hawks (to free them from nets, or runs) be sure you have stout leather gloves on. Absolutely do not let those birds latch onto your fingers, their talons are extremely sharp and when they are scared they will not let go. I heard a story once where a woman picked one up that had been hit by a car, a little screech owl. It clamped onto her finger and wouldn't let go. The police took her to a hospital where they were going to kill the owl but she wouldn't let them. They ended up calling in a veterinarian who gave the owl anesthesia so it would go to sleep and let go - finally the woman was freed. She needed stitches to close the wound but insisted she was happy to have saved the owl, who did live.

Quote:
What a sweet story....I can so imagine that being me.
smile.png
I would have been saying "no, just cut the finger off!!!". LOL

My first thought when I started reading this thread was that I hoped they had really good leather gloves!!!
smile.png

Yep we had leather gloves on, and my husband wrapped him in his jacket before we started untangling him. We held his leg and unhooked the netting from his talons. He was pretty tired and didn't struggle.

I live in Fl and we have silly Gopher Tortoises it is illegal to harrass them so when I picked one up out of the middle of the road and relocated it I could have been fined.
I will admit that years ago (20+) we used to paint the #9 on them -you know Bill Elliott-NASCAR hahaha we did it all the time too!hahahaha:D

cara-my husband wrapped him in his jacket before we started untangling him

Smart cookies! Oh, and Cara, thank you for giving permission to use your photo. I will not use it as my own nor sell it. Thank you!!!
Wow, I love all the stories but who wants to kill raptures? They clean up the squirrels, wood chuck, and pigeons (wild and owned). When you kill one bird of pray, you will gain another, territory is always in demand!
luvmychicknkids-What a sweet story....I can so imagine that being me
in regards to the owl on the womans finger- oh yeah, I'd be seated right beside you!!!!
lau.gif

I am not 100% but here in Maine, if they relocated bear or birds of pray, you cannot kill them. Snapping turtles are supposed to be killed, and I have had a wood chuck chase my car! Who'dah thunk that!!!
jumpy.gif

love.gif
Wow! That is amazing. I will say that he looks a tad bit irked with you though
lol.png
. Good for you for not killing him, even though it is illegal I know there are people here who would not take the high road.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom