Finally caught the mystery 'beast'

Quote:
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO HARASS BIRDS OF PREY according to the Migratory Bird Act if they are threatening livestock or poultry. It appears that the owl captured itself...

OH Myyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do believe I am in love!!!!!
love.gif
That is an amazing looking animal. I love owls!!!!

Yep... and you're leaving out pertinent information there...

Here ya go..

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-13.pdf

read
it again - and then read the parts that state:

"..only after non-lethal techniques fail..." it continues with "you will be expected to continue with non-lethal techniques"

further down.. in the application:

It is up to the US Ag/Game Dept to determine IF you can legally kill said predatory birds and what methods you will be able to use upon providing all written documentation - just because you apply for a permit and state that a bird of prey killed your chickens, does NOT mean you suffered economic hardship at the expense of a bird of prey. You know that and so does US Fish and Wildlife - its why the laws are in place.

Bottom line is first defense is to capture and relocate - not kill and maim.

Sorry...

Not gonna argue, not my thing, but make sure before you go quoting laws you read them fully.

No permit is required merely to scare or herd
depredating migratory birds other than endangered or threatened species and bald or golden eagles.
You should apply for a
depredation permit only after non-lethal management proves unsuccessful. If a permit is issued, you will be expected to continue
to integrate non-lethal techniques when implementing any lethal measures.

So I guess then as long as you are not trying to kill them, you can indeed scare them or attempt to deter them. So no harm was done in this case. No rules broken.​

on another note..

did y'all know it was illegal to relocate a freakin' groundhog? LOL

Yep - I had one trapped and was going to relocate it (it was getting into my garden and eating my corn
roll.png
) borrowed a trap from my neighbor (who's a trapper as well - and game warden right next to him). Told him what I needed it for - and he asked what I was going to do with it. I told him I was going to let it go back in the 100 acres behind the house and I got an earfull on that one!

So my choices were: I had to leave it alone or 2. kill it.

I told him then I would leave it alone because I wasnt going to kill it for just eating my corn
hmm.png
It was just trying to survive too...

Odd how the laws work sometimes, but I'm not about to break them either. You'd think that capturing it and moving it would be better than killing it.. but... he's still there
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL! Lisa! That sounds like something me and my boys do!
thumbsup.gif
They are always hunting for the owl pellets to dissect. We have a really fun time playing amateur zoologist/archaeologist! I say archaeologist, because the boys say it is like unearthing a hidden treasure when we do find one.
big_smile.png
We also go on hunts for tracks and scat after rains so we can try and figure out what animals came through our land.

To the OP-what beautiful pics!
love.gif
I am glad you found what was eating your birds, and now you can protect them better. I do think that by releasing the animal on your property, away from the fencing that it was caught in, wouldn't be considered "capturing/harrassing and relocating" You just moved it away to a different part of the property away from the fencing. If you had released it there, it could very well have flown right back into the fencing.

I have to say, I would have felt the same way seeing that beautiful creature tangled up. ..shock and awe. Glad you released it.

Shelly

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom