1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally Done!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SkyKng6154, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SkyKng6154

SkyKng6154 New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Willow Grove, Pa.
    [​IMG]
    purchased at http://www.sunhill-barns.com/index.html

[​IMG]
    work begins

[​IMG]
    all framed out

[​IMG]
    nice and deep hardware cloth

[​IMG]
    hardware cloth all done

[​IMG]
    2x4 on both sides of coop to make inside height higher........pvc caps on top of 2x4 to prevent damage to netting

[​IMG]
    pvc feeder.........got the idea from BYC...thanks people

[​IMG]
    stone around bottom of coop to prevent rain runoff erosion

[​IMG]
    outside feed trough with basement window well over to keep food dry...sheet plastic on back from window well to ground behind trough.......works great!!

[​IMG]
    almost done

[​IMG]
    flower box in front

all went well.........recommend pressure treated lumber be dry before hardware cloth is applied........pressure treated wood shrinks as it dries.........hardware cloth was attached before wood dried resulting in a few bubble spots in cloth........

all in all, we are very happy with how it turned out!!

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Very, very nice. Good Job. [​IMG]

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    VERY NICE. My only question is , how do you fill up the feeder tube? Looks too close to the ceiling to take the cap off. I use the same design for my feeder except mine is about 5 feet high and I fill it from the outside. Mine is outside of the coop. It is attached to the front and bends under the coop so that the food will stay dry during the rain. I would recommend that you put your food and water outside of the coop once your girls are big enough to go out of the coop during the day. I only want my girls in the coop to lay eggs and sleep at night. Otherwise I want them pooping outside.
    Good Job!! [​IMG]

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Looks Great!

5. SkyKng6154

SkyKng6154 New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Willow Grove, Pa.
    The top of the feeder tube is between the 2 roosts. The tube does not go to the ceiling. Very easy to refill.

6. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Looks like a top notch project you completed there.
    Congrats and well done!

7. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    nice... mine gets here today 12 x 20 i will have to make some mods..but the chicks will be out of the living room at 9 weeks...yeah...

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    When I built my chicken tractor I wrestled with that hardware cloth....no matter how careful I tried to be I still got scratched up from it. Just about healed up now! It was worth it for the strength but talk about sharp! Was not smart enough to go in the garage and get gloves!

I love your little chicken coop...very pretty and great run for the chickens!

9. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    thanks for the tip about drying the preassure treated lumber first. I am always amazed at how heavy newly purchased PT is compared to wood just a few weeks older.

10. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Looks great. I know you're happy and proud. I'm working on my PVC feeder now. I like the planting area. Gives me an idea for my run. Thanks for sharing. I hope very soon to say the two words "finally done".

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by