Finally Got my Roo To Stop Crowing!

Pics

SweetTree

Chirping
Oct 23, 2019
Hello friends! First post but a LOOOOONG time lurker! Sorry for the post length; TL;DR at the bottom. I know the title sounds like a clickbait article, but this has been a bumpy road for us! I have a small backyard flock in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. We don’t have any laws about chickens or chicken noise specifically but I always try to be extra careful of my neighbors because I don’t want to be the reason we end up with chicken rules.

And then we accidentally adopted a rooster.

You read that right. I occasionally foster for a local dog and cat rescue and am the only one in the organization with chickens. Then I get a call that there’s a therapy rooster (yup. He was a companion animal for a woman who had cancer.) that needed a new home with someone who would be gentle with him. So they called me. And I said ABSOLUTELY NOT. NO ROOSTERS. My coordinator said, “Just go meet him and then see what you think.”

Later when she asked how it went, I said, “Well now we have a $%@#*$% rooster so thanks for that.” Within two seconds of meeting him I fell in love with his sweet, goofy disposition.

I brought him home and my immediate neighbors were thrilled! However, his crowing (he didn’t crow much to begin with) was driving ME BONKERS. And I had someone a few doors down scream at him to “SHUUUUT UUUUP!!” So I thought yelling his name out the window every time he crowed would get him to stop. Yea, I know. Absolutely dumb idea. Instead of teaching him to stop crowing, he learned that when he crowed it got Mom’s attention. So he crowed even more.

Then I made him a Velcro No-Crow collar. I thought, “YES! A solution at last!”

It worked for a day or two. Then he figured out how to rip it off. And every time I put it back on, he ripped it right off. I timed him. Less than a minute and it was on the ground.

So I bought a fancy No-Crow collar online. And thought, “GOOD LUCK GETTING THIS OFF, YOU BUTTHEAD.”

SUCCESS! For a day that is. I found it laying in the yard the next day. I put it back on him and then watched. He tried pulling it off himself for about 5 minutes. When he couldn’t get it, HE CALLED ONE OF THE HENS OVER AND HAD HER PULL IT OFF.

I was stomping mad. I refused to be outsmarted by a chicken!!!

So then I researched like a madwoman. I came across a type of “no-bark” collar for dogs that beeped and vibrated to deter a dog from repeatedly barking. The bonus was it was specifically built for dogs 4lbs or less!

So I bought it, skepticism in hand. It took repeated tries to adjust it to my now cranky roo, but it *seems* to be working!! It’s a plastic buckle with a woven strap so his normal tricks to rip it off aren’t working. I have the sensitivity setting so he can make his normal chatter to the girls without setting it off.

*I don’t want to spoil it, but he’s been quiet for 3 DAYS.*

Crossing my fingers this will continue!

TL;DR - I used a vibrating no-bark collar for 4lb dogs on my rooster to keep him quiet and it seems to be working!

Last edited:
Please post a picture or other info on the collar. I have 3 Serama roos that have to come in at night because of crowing. And they are driving us nuts. They crow all day starting at 6am.
Here’s the one I use! It’s small and lightweight so it’s comfortable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 120
Smart dude!

More people should use the no-bark collars for roosters, (If they need to) I don't like no-crow collars...
I don’t like the no-crow collars either. There were too many casualties for my comfort and I don’t like the idea of choking a roo to keep him quiet. I thought I’d try it with my roo because I was exhausting all options but the little fart had his own ideas

Welcome to BYC. What a great entry to our site. I’ve learned a lot here over the years but that is a brand new one. There are a lot of very chicken-smart members here to help you with your chicken needs and lots of valuable information if you make time to peruse. Thanks for joining and posting an innovative way to stop crowing, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be interested.

Welcome to BYC. What a great entry to our site. I’ve learned a lot here over the years but that is a brand new one. There are a lot of very chicken-smart members here to help you with your chicken needs and lots of valuable information if you make time to peruse. Thanks for joining and posting an innovative way to stop crowing, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be interested.
Thank you!!! Like I said I’ve been lurking for quite awhile but I finally felt I had something I could share! This site is always my first resource when I’m trying to figure something out. I’ll definitely be posting more in the future!

Hello friends! First post but a LOOOOONG time lurker!
TL;DR - I used a vibrating no-bark collar for 4lb dogs on my rooster to keep him quiet and it seems to be working!
Welcome aboard! I am SO glad you "de-lurked!" This is a great idea and the story is the BEST! I'd love to try it, but I'd need at least a dozen collars. Still, it sure is worth a shot, so I know what I'm asking Santa for, this year!
Again - We're glad to have you here. This is a GREAT place to share and learn.

Back
Top Bottom