Finally had to kill roosters. Snapping neck causes suffering?

Banana01

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
San Martin, Peru
Just for context, last night my significant others father died at 88 years, and she needed 6 roosters for feeding people. Someone volunteered to kill them for me, but I figured it was my responsibility.

Someone showed me how they did it by twisting the neck. I am really wondering if the rooster suffers after having its neck snapped like this, or if they lose the ability to feel and their flopping around is just a reaction for one or two minutes.

I am aware of other methods like axe and chopping block or the killing cone. Ive seen the pros and cons of each. I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste. I did not have a knife, and i tried a machete on one, but their skin was so tough it was a failure. Thanks for any opinion on this method.

When Ive tried the wringing the neck method it can be hard sometimes especially with thick muscled necked roosters. I knew this made them suffer even for a short time if it wasnt dome properly the first time.

I changed my method to using a good pair of tree loppers. They are a clean cut, instant, and they have never failed on the first cut no matter how thick the neck is. I think once the head is removed everything else is just muscle reactions and they feel nothing after the removal of the head.

Attachments

• 05242862.jpg
    05242862.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6
I don't really care what kill method is used(except Gassing)(just how I feel), nature it's self is cruel, & prey animals are dying slowly before the predator eats it, or the prey animal is taken, & eaten alive.

Nature, is nature, that's how it should go. But people, Anthropomorphising animals is wrong, but it's an ongoing thing, & is pushing towards veganism, & such.
Nature can be very cruel but it's not anthropomorphising to not want an animal to needlessly suffer. Especially when you have the means to offer a quick and painless a death as possible.

I could feel the spinal cord was severed, but they did not die for a minute or longer.
Yes they did. The flapping is a reflex reaction, completely normal, that happens with chickens after death. It does not mean the bird is still alive.

I was concerned because the bones are snapped, or cervical is dislocated, but they are still getting blood and oxygen flow to the brain.
If the spinal cord is severed, then the bird is clinically dead. It doesn't matter if there's residual blood still going to the head for a second or two after. Consciousness and the feeling of pain are both rooted in the brain, so if the brain is dead, then it cannot feel pain and the bird cannot be considered alive. Don't beat yourself up - if the spine was severed, then the birds were dead. The rest is just reflexes.

What I use for my chickens is a large pair of wire cutters. The kind with long, sturdy blades. They cut the head right off, no ambiguity. Pruning shears/loppers can work, too, but you have to get the right kind because not all of them are sturdy enough to do a clean job. It was funny, I went into Home Depot once to ask them about their sturdiest loppers. I had to explain what they were needed for... The staff just about fainted :lol: Then some lady said hold on let me get somebody... She comes back with this old, seasoned Haitian gentleman from another department, and we had a nice chat about our respective personal history with farms and butchering. Turns out he grew up with farm animals, and knew just what I needed. I love my wire cutters, they do a great job, especially in combination with the killing cone. Make sure you start cutting from the back of the neck, not from the throat. That way the first thing you sever is the backbone, which is what matters. The throat is secondary. Sometimes I can't cut all the way around the whole neck in one go, especially on larger birds, but as long as the spine is severed, I rest easy knowing that the animal feels nothing, even if the head is still dangling by some skin.

Last edited:
I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste.
I use the hatchet and stump method so the head is totally removed. They flop around but without the head attached I consider that a reflex reaction.

I don't know which snapping the neck method was used, there are several. I've tried one and the flopping was the same. In my opinion if the neck is snapped I'd consider it as humane as other methods properly executed. That flopping does bother a lot of people.

I’ve used the broomstick method. Holding the ankles with bird upside down (which quiets them, ) lay the bird stomach down, still holding the ankles. Quickly place the broom handle over the back of the neck very close to skull, place your feet on either side of bird and give a hard yank up. You feel the neck break. Yes, the bird flaps around, but they do this even after cutting off the head. It’s over very quickly, but I never get used to it.....

P.S. If anybody is feeling uneasy about the ethics of the cone. I find that chickens are surprisingly calm when inside the cone, even though they are restrained and hanging upside down. I did not expect that. I've done quite a few now, with the cone, including as favors for friends (who needed the job done), and I've never had a chicken struggle from inside the cone. They go strangely calm once they're in it, so it's less upsetting to the human. Maybe because it's such an unexpected, unnatural position for them - they are more puzzled and confused than anything else! :lol:

Just for context, last night my significant others father died at 88 years, and she needed 6 roosters for feeding people. Someone volunteered to kill them for me, but I figured it was my responsibility.

Someone showed me how they did it by twisting the neck. I am really wondering if the rooster suffers after having its neck snapped like this, or if they lose the ability to feel and their flopping around is just a reaction for one or two minutes.

I am aware of other methods like axe and chopping block or the killing cone. Ive seen the pros and cons of each. I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste. I did not have a knife, and i tried a machete on one, but their skin was so tough it was a failure. Thanks for any opinion on this method.
I've seen the method on YouTube, but when done I've always seen heads twisted completely off.

But it's done fast, & the spinal cord is severed, & the bird is dead. Culling methods if done properly are painless.

Back
Top Bottom