Finally had to kill roosters. Snapping neck causes suffering?

Banana01

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
San Martin, Peru
Just for context, last night my significant others father died at 88 years, and she needed 6 roosters for feeding people. Someone volunteered to kill them for me, but I figured it was my responsibility.

Someone showed me how they did it by twisting the neck. I am really wondering if the rooster suffers after having its neck snapped like this, or if they lose the ability to feel and their flopping around is just a reaction for one or two minutes.

I am aware of other methods like axe and chopping block or the killing cone. Ive seen the pros and cons of each. I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste. I did not have a knife, and i tried a machete on one, but their skin was so tough it was a failure. Thanks for any opinion on this method.

Just for context, last night my significant others father died at 88 years, and she needed 6 roosters for feeding people. Someone volunteered to kill them for me, but I figured it was my responsibility.

Someone showed me how they did it by twisting the neck. I am really wondering if the rooster suffers after having its neck snapped like this, or if they lose the ability to feel and their flopping around is just a reaction for one or two minutes.

I am aware of other methods like axe and chopping block or the killing cone. Ive seen the pros and cons of each. I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste. I did not have a knife, and i tried a machete on one, but their skin was so tough it was a failure. Thanks for any opinion on this method.
What we do is just take a normal (big) cooking knife, and just cut their throats.

I've seen the method on YouTube, but when done I've always seen heads twisted completely off.

But it's done fast, & the spinal cord is severed, & the bird is dead. Culling methods if done properly are painless.

I am wondering how bad is the snapping the neck method? Several of my roosters had their necks snapped, but it seemed like they were too aware for my taste.
I use the hatchet and stump method so the head is totally removed. They flop around but without the head attached I consider that a reflex reaction.

I don't know which snapping the neck method was used, there are several. I've tried one and the flopping was the same. In my opinion if the neck is snapped I'd consider it as humane as other methods properly executed. That flopping does bother a lot of people.

What we do is just take a normal (big) cooking knife, and just cut their throats.
I tried that with and without a killing cone. I ended up having to break the neck after cutting their skin. Their skin was really tough and my knives not sharp enough. The severed artery method only works with a surgically sharp knife. I tried a machete, knife, and sharp paring knife. The roosters were old and very tough.

I've seen the method on YouTube, but when done I've always seen heads twisted completely off.

But it's done fast, & the spinal cord is severed, & the bird is dead. Culling methods if done properly are painless.

I could feel the spinal cord was severed, but they did not die for a minute or longer. It makes sense they are still breathing and blood is still pumping, so it had me worried. My knives and the machete werent any faster unfortunately.

I will try to see if twisting the head off is more imorovement.

When Ive tried the wringing the neck method it can be hard sometimes especially with thick muscled necked roosters. I knew this made them suffer even for a short time if it wasnt dome properly the first time.

I changed my method to using a good pair of tree loppers. They are a clean cut, instant, and they have never failed on the first cut no matter how thick the neck is. I think once the head is removed everything else is just muscle reactions and they feel nothing after the removal of the head.

Attachments

• 05242862.jpg
    05242862.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6
I tried that with and without a killing cone. I ended up having to break the neck after cutting their skin. Their skin was really tough and my knives not sharp enough. The severed artery method only works with a surgically sharp knife. I tried a machete, knife, and sharp paring knife. The roosters were old and very tough.

I could feel the spinal cord was severed, but they did not die for a minute or longer. It makes sense they are still breathing and blood is still pumping, so it had me worried. My knives and the machete werent any faster unfortunately.

I will try to see if twisting the head off is more imorovement.
The flopping is something you get used to over time. I started to help my dad slaughter, & butcher chickens when I was young.

I’ve used the broomstick method. Holding the ankles with bird upside down (which quiets them, ) lay the bird stomach down, still holding the ankles. Quickly place the broom handle over the back of the neck very close to skull, place your feet on either side of bird and give a hard yank up. You feel the neck break. Yes, the bird flaps around, but they do this even after cutting off the head. It’s over very quickly, but I never get used to it.....

Back
Top Bottom