Finally, one of my girls laid her first egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dowgirl71, Nov 11, 2012.

1. dowgirl71

dowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    My husband found it, this AM, but unfortunately it was outside and frozen. Atleast, it's a start!:) Is it OK to eat an egg that has been frozen?

2. Kirklandchick

Kirklandchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Illinois
    Congrats on getting your first egg! This will be our first winter with the chickens, so I can't answer the question about the frozen egg, but with winter quickly approaching and a coop with no heat, I'll be waiting to hear answers on that one too :)

3. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Yes it's fine to eat it. Let it thaw is the refrigerator then enjoy! By the way contrats on the 1st egg!

4. buttercup hill

buttercup hill Out Of The Brooder

Woo Hoo! Isn't that first egg exciting? I had that feeling not long ago myself. Getting up to 4 eggs a day now from my white eggers [​IMG].
    Good to know about frozen finds, bwalden. Thanks!

5. dowgirl71

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    Yes, that first egg is exciting! And today, we actually got two-one from one of my younger girls and one from our older chicken. Those first eggs are so cute! I'm wondering if another of my younger girls will lay very soon. She was kind of lying around more, today. My son saw her and thought she was dead but a little while later, she was moving around just fine. As for the frozen egg, my dogs got a little treat, because I just wasn't sure, but now I know. Thanks, bwalden!:)

6. dowgirl71

Oct 25, 2012
    Brewer, Maine
    Yea!! My second young chicken laid her first egg, today!! My boys found it while I was at work. So, that's three eggs for us, today! Just waiting on my third young chicken. She doesn't squat, lay around or sound any announcing calls, like the others. So she may be a while.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by