Finally started laying after being broody, but extremely sparingly and irregularly. Very concerned..

Dudu

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Ħal Luqa, Malta
I have a mixed breed hen, rather small in size, turned 2 years old this past July, who was on mommy duties for the whole summer (was broody for about 40 days in May/June as she hatched eggs that were put under her with a week's difference); then she was raising the babies (until they outgrew her!), and then finally separated probably in August or September, can't remember exactly.

During these summer months she was in our basement due to extremely hot temperatures outside, so she was living with artificial light. Approx. end of September we moved her in a crate upstairs in the garage where after a couple of weeks she finally laid her first egg. I was relieved, but then she maybe laid one more and then stopped. Then about 10 days later laid one again, then nothing.

I do think I can feel something in her when I feel her, but it's not an egg (not hard anyway).

Should I be very concerned already? She has maybe laid 4 eggs since the end of September, and every time that I hoped she would restart laying regularly, she stopped.

I am planning to take her to the vet's to have her palpated and possibly endoscopy to see what's inside (this is what we did last time with a hen, she ended up with egg yolk peritonitis and passed away, but thought I'd ask you first what are the things to know about it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

No, no sings of molting....
I was just wondering if there is anything to give her (not hormones though) to induce/encourage laying eggs. Not that I need her eggs, but I don't want her to end up sick :(

No, no sings of molting....
I was just wondering if there is anything to give her (not hormones though) to induce/encourage laying eggs. Not that I need her eggs, but I don't want her to end up sick :(

Light would be the only thing you could do to encourage laying.

Thanks a lot!
I will probably get her checked out by our vet just to try and eliminate chances of any tumour or unlaid egg build-up inside her, will post an update here when that occurs.

Thanks so much for taking time to reply.
Irena

Back
Top Bottom