FINALY my canaries are breeding.. UPDATE..* DAY 16* PICS *

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
My canary hen is building a nest. I am SOO EXITED... will post pics of them asap!
wee.gif

Last edited:
yes i have a pair and they do sing!....... here are the pics as promised
006-5.jpg

005-7.jpg

004-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

001-7.jpg

now my question is weather to get fake eggs or not... one book says to replace the eggs with fake eggs untill the clutch is complete and the other book says not to interfere.... so some expierience would be great! thank you

well she is in the process of laying eggs, three so far and im hoping a forth and final one tomorrow... she hasnt really commited to her nest yet just in and out so i think they will all hatch at the same time

she is finished laying five eggs, and this first time mother is sitting on a clutch of not four, but FIVE eggs
th.gif
i will continue to post updates and pictures throughout the incubation and chick rearing process

007-3.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-8.jpg

004-5.jpg

003-7.jpg

Last edited:
more nice photos!

I choose not to interfere with my finch families. Finches, though, are notoriously easy breeders!
smile.png
I only allow one clutch per year because most of my finches are adopted from a rescue and there are always more to rescue. I never breed more than I won't keep.

oh - I meant to ad in your other post about genetics and coloring that your canaries would appreciate baths if you don't already give them one.

I put a bowl of water (that the birds can just touch the bottom of) in each flight cage every other day. They LOVE baths!

well tomorow is week one, im not gunna candle becuase i dont want to take her nest away, i havent disturbed her setting since she started setting and i am just letting her be, but i heard that infertile eggs will turn dirty red so ill keep my eye on that

Back
Top Bottom