Financial Incentive?

I'd argue that flock raiser is better than most starters.
Either are better than making your own.
Not everything is available everywhere, and different brands will label differently so read the nutritional labels ... The most important numbers are protein, and calcium. When they try to save money and sell you a hen food they lower protein to 15%.

My hens reduce their eggs when protein is at or below 16%. If others don't I can't argue, just noticed a change in mine. If calcium is below 3%, even with oyster shells available I get shell issues. Again, not everyone is same... I have bantam Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. The are production breeds, they put everything into the eggs.

Oh, and in the spirit of teaching you what I wish I had known... Grit seems dumb, it is rocks and my girls go outside so why buy rocks? Because the rock is limestone and that is a kind of calcium their body likes :) It is cheap, they go through it slow and it helps. Get the grit and oyster shells.

What else? The bedding... Oh! The argument that creates around here!

The answer is: try a few, you'll have a favorite. Depends on too many factors to have anyone tell you your answer. You'll know what you like when you see what you don't like.

Most people will try sprouts, I find some easier than others to grow. Wheat I like, sometimes barley some others too. Sunflower is a nice one.

The girls will mix seeds with poo, so make sure the compost pile does not attract pests, and if you can let them grow into plants they will love that.

I didn't give raising bugs the sustained effort necessary. I only give mealworms to ducks, I dislike the fighting it creates in the hens. Instead I let them tag along with me when I garden. The other bugs they are great at finding themselves. (Ducks don't dig, so it is harder)

I'd argue that flock raiser is better than most starters.
Either are better than making your own.
I forget who, but last year when I had feed questions a seasoned BYC member recommended flock raiser crumbles with oyster shell on the side for all life stages. This takes the guess work out and saves time. Now that I don’t have chicks I use an all flock 17% in pellet form.

Back
Top Bottom