Finch temperatures

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mandiedriskill, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mandiedriskill

mandiedriskill Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    Eugene
    Are there any finches that can be housed outside during winter months? We get around 16 degress here in winter.

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have finches also, and they can't be below 70 degrees in the winter. I lost 5 last winter and finally the lady that gave them to me said if I turned the furnace down too low at night, which I did, that would have been the cause. What kind do you have? I have Cinnamon, which are sooooooo pretty and Society and then a black cheek plus the regular ones which names have escaped me. They are the sweetest little things.

3. mandiedriskill

mandiedriskill Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    Eugene
    I don't have any yet. I wish I could get some, but they would have to be an out side type. I don't think there are really any that are accustomed to the outside. I have a big aviary and it would be neat to have some in there, but I don't think that is going to happen. We have wild ones all the time outside during the winter. From what I have been reading most finches that are breed need warmer climates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by