Finished coop for Rodney the Rooster

hot rod!!!!!!!!! i like that! haha.

will sure update everyone once he's in there, i get new hens, or if i have close encounters of getting him in.

thanks for all the comments! glad you all like it,
big_smile.png

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got Rodney 2 hens today!
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:clap:
i got a $25 tip so that sealed the deal. i feel i basically got these hens for $15 total with the tip lol.

one is a barred rock and the other she couldn't remember at the time. they had mixed breeds, bantams, biggy's, weird little japanese hens with tiny legs and strait horizontal tails! they also had goats, horses, gees, turkeys, ducks, dogs and cats all with their own areas but aloud to free range together. it was quite amazing. got to hold a 4 day old goat. was cute. teh horses came up to me to check out the goat. not like anything i've ever encountered. i've been to zoos and farms, but nothing like that. the hole place was at peace.

the two mutt dog and the lady's daughter (looked like a teenage sweetish model! crazy, i guess that's what they mean by raised on cornbread?!) and the dogs herded the selected hens for us gently. rather amazing. an awesome experience!

anyway, here's the two hens. haven't named them yet.

here they are in the dog crate i used. they didn't make a sound at all driving back for 45min!

bothjustinthedoor.jpg

here they both are in the coop. surprised they are kind of exploring at night!

bothcoop.jpg

here's the barred rock on the ramp. i really need to put some tracking things on there. i was shocked how easily they slide!

barreda11-14-08.jpg

and the other one again, anyone know what breed?
darkone.jpg

i am so surprised how they let me hold them and pick them up so easily! they don't care, totally domesticated!

so what do you all think of the ladies? i like em a lot! glad i have off tomorrow and can't wait to see Rodney's reaction!!!!

yeah forgo to mention. i made the nesting box in about 20 min before i left to buy the ladies. it's 12x12x12" with a 3 inch lip on the front. it has no back or bottom.

really have to put some traction strips on the ramp.

can't wait to look outside tomorrow!

Yeah, Yeah, congrats on the great hens (second looks to me to be mixed, but who am I to say). Those girls look old enough to lay, give them a short period of adjustment and you will be gathering eggs. Be listening for the cackle sounds!!

Let us know when Rodney finds them...hehe won't he be surprised!!
ya.gif

The black hen looks like a black sex link to me. They are a cross between a Rhode Island Red roo and a Barred Rock hen. If so, she should be a great egglayer. Congrats on the both of them. They are beautiful.

BTW, we have little wooden slats screwed crossways on our ramps so the chickens don't slide.

Nice chickens, My barred rock hens are the BEST they lay right through molt. Maybe the best layers I have. The black one does have the coloring of a sexlink but looks like she might have some game in her. Or maybe she's just a really young bsl and hasnt filled out yet. In any case, good luck with you chickens, you will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom