Finished coop for Rodney the Rooster

Donny

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Orlando, FL
I've been posting in my other thread in the breed section. thought i'd start one here for those of you who might not venture that way =P

just finished my coop and run for a rooster that's been in my yard for a month now.
it's set up with food in it and water, and bedding. i made a trail of scratch to the open door then a bunch more inside.
I plan on getting him two hens soon.

i tried to get him to come out and see if he'd come closer and go where i threw food. he's been doing that the last couple days. but not today. maybe it's too close to sundown (5pm) or he's just not hungry.

i got impatient and walked into his roost area to get him out. he came out. i decided i was going to try to chase him into the run. bad idea. he freak and ran and found out he can easily jump a 4 foot chain link fence. he flew into the neighbors yard freaking them out (old spanish lady) and their tiny dog chased it the it leaped the fence area behind my shed and i think he's in there now under it. where he's been sleeping away from cats. so i guess he does feel like my yard is his teritory or something since he went right back there.

so lesson learned! let him go in there by himself and catch him on the off chance. or find some hens faster and put them in there on a tether.

hope he's not all afraid of me now =/

here's two pics of the coop/run

human view:
cooprunhumanveiw.jpg

Rooster view:
cooprunchickveiw.jpg

uploading a video also. i'll post it when it's finished.
smile.png

anyway, uploading pics and a video. as soon as that's done i'll post them here
smile.png

oh yeah and he's the roo:
CLICK PICTURE FOR VIDEO

Last edited:
Very well done video! Nice coop and handsome roo! What if you waited until after dark and tried to move him into the coop? I've read here of others that do that to their hens. Chickens evidently do not have good night vision. Might be worth a try.

i would try the night catch thing but he seems to be sleeping UNDER the shed i'm guessing to stay away from cats.

he has no friends now but will very soon!

Last edited:
Donny, your coop is too cute! Really nice job.

Keep us updated. I can't wait to hear how you get Rodney in there. He's a lucky roo, to have found a person who cares so much about him.

I LOVE the coop!! "Hot Rod" is going to be one happy Rooster when he gets the ladies and figures out thats HIS home. Keep everyone updated.....I want to see how this story ends.

Back
Top Bottom