Fire/Burn Aftermath

My hen has had that happen twice before. Her vent area is crusty and that leads to even more droppings getting stuck. How on earth do I clean it correctly? She’s a healthy girl and I suspect that the cause is only because her droppings accumulated there over a couples days without my noticing.
I usually trim the feathers back there. I have a white Cochin who is alllll feather. Stuff gets stuck there sometimes. If it's close up against her skin, she gets her backside washed. Otherwise, a couple of snips and its it's gone.

Once dried on they can be very hard. Usually a soaking and bath (warm) will loosen it up so it can be cleaned up. Some birds have 'lazy' cloaca's and don't push as hard expelling droppings. If necessary I trim back feathers with small scissors to get it cleaned up. If you do a bath then make sure she's completely dry before going back outside, a blowdryer on low works well. This is a bigger issue when it's warm and fly's are out since then it can result in flystrike.

So our chicken coop burnt down. We have 5 survivors. We moved them all to a new coop. It's way bigger and it's got 1 rooster 4 hens. One hen is more burnt and injured than the rest. I used Vetericyn spray to try and heal the comb burns on all the chickens. They seem minor compared to what it could have been. So the healthier ones now have spots on their combs that are turning white after I sprayed them with Vetericyn spray. It was staying kind of black before I sprayed them. I wasn't sure if that's good or bad? The one who is more injured also has runny poop and she had been confining herself to the coop until yesterday. She came down to eat and the rooster immediately had his way with her and the alfa hen attacked her back into the coop. I'm not sure what to do?
I am so sorry that happened... What a nightmare. I hope your remaining birds recover fully....
:hugs

Once dried on they can be very hard. Usually a soaking and bath (warm) will loosen it up so it can be cleaned up. Some birds have 'lazy' cloaca's and don't push as hard expelling droppings. If necessary I trim back feathers with small scissors to get it cleaned up. If you do a bath then make sure she's completely dry before going back outside, a blowdryer on low works well. This is a bigger issue when it's warm and fly's are out since then it can result in flystrike.
Thanks. I think she probably does have a “lazy cloaca” As this is not my first time dealing with it :lol:

I will definitely need to trim since it has been a while and has hardened. I tried to bathe her butt the first time, and it was messy and very difficult to do. Howfar would I trim the feathers?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread 😬)

Howfar would I trim the feathers?
I trim whatever is necessary, usually close to the skin. The feathers will come back in when they molt. Leaving fuzzy bits of feathers will just catch more droppings. I have a barred rock that ends up with big dung balls hanging from her vent feathers. My soil is very fine and sandy so as she dustbathes they become concrete, so she gets them trimmed.

I trim whatever is necessary, usually close to the skin. The feathers will come back in when they molt. Leaving fuzzy bits of feathers will just catch more droppings. I have a barred rock that ends up with big dung balls hanging from her vent feathers. My soil is very fine and sandy so as she dustbathes they become concrete, so she gets them trimmed.
Lol mines a Barred Rock too. I’ll work on that tomorrow. I have a grooming table for dogs in the house, and that will certainly make life easier. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom