Afrier

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2020
We had a lot of rain new years eve. It caused our wiring to short out when it got wet and it burned the coop down. We were able to get a new one built and get the survivors moved but all our birds have some burns. The reason we had lamps was because we ended up with too many roosters in a coop due to hatching rate at about 50% roosters 🙄. What do Yall do to sell or get rid of roosters before they get big? My roosters had divided the flock and half my flock was perching outside on the perch in the cold and getting frostbite. We added the lamps and it solved the issue until the wires sparked from immense levels of rain water getting on the wire. I think we made compounding mistakes and lost half the flock because of it. Now my birds have burns and I want to make it right. The new coop is nice. It will need a roof and a door to finish it but it's just rained for days. I think it may need windows on the coop too? Can everyone just give us some pointers on the best way to give them a better year? And what in the world do I do if we hatch a ton of roosters this year? Do Yall let your hens get brood? Do you have hen boxes or just let them lay all over the coop? We love our chickens like pets and just want to do right by them but have no experience.

Attachments

• 78833F60-41A9-4A38-9E71-DB123780EAF9.jpeg
    78833F60-41A9-4A38-9E71-DB123780EAF9.jpeg
    797.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 54445A92-5241-4BA9-86E2-1D88671190BB.jpeg
    54445A92-5241-4BA9-86E2-1D88671190BB.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1EBCFC5B-D380-4AC0-9D71-F1B15C822BF7.jpeg
    1EBCFC5B-D380-4AC0-9D71-F1B15C822BF7.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry about the fire.
How many chickens do you still have because the coop doesn't look big enough for more than 8 birds.
You turn excess roosters into soup. few people will buy or even take one for free since most people only need one or two.
I don't understand how adding lamps solved your rooster issue with them dividing the flock.
I wouldn't hatch any more unless you get a bigger or second coop.

I'm sorry about the fire.
How many chickens do you still have because the coop doesn't look big enough for more than 8 birds.
You turn excess roosters into soup. few people will buy or even take one for free since most people only need one or two.
I don't understand how adding lamps solved your rooster issue with them dividing the flock.
I wouldn't hatch any more unless you get a bigger or second coop.
The lamps stopped the birds from getting frost bite and we were getting rid of that second rooster in about 2 weeks. We have 5 birds in that coop now.

Back
Top Bottom