Fireplace....in a mobile home

We put a wood stove insert in the fireplace of the 2002 manufactured home we own in Oregon.
The retailer came out and let us know which models were approved for that type of home. He also looked up the codes for us and even went under the house and on the roof to make sure the venting was up to code. Oftentimes venting has to be more than a stick built because manufactured homes are built tighter to be more energy efficient.

He then helped us choose a model that would fit what we wanted.

my mother in laws modular is a 1986 model our mobile home is a 1971 model it has been rebuilt from floor up, my mil's can burn regular wood not pellets although she does not use it she is too sickly to do so. we use ours everyday in the winter

Generally speaking, fireplaces are not efficient sources of heat. Much of the 'heat' goes right up the chimney (which is why they are much safer to operate, creosote is slow to form in an open air fireplace). Woodstoves greatly improve the efficiency of your heat, but come with other concerns ... burning dry wood, at correct temperatures, and regular cleanings.

We burned wood for ten years, much of the time as our exclusive heat source (my husband was a chimneysweep for much of that time ... cleaning, installing and repairing). It is very labor intensive, dusty and dirty. I enjoyed it for the most part, but can't say I miss too much now that we are a bit older. Nice not to have to split wood, stack, haul, and clean out.

Quote:
And they turn on with the flick of a switch! No hauling wood, splitting it, storing it, bringing bugs into the house, stocking up inside before a snowstorm........

We just want a fireplace/woodstove to enjoy during winter, it will not be our main source of heat.

If anyone has a fireplace in their mobile home I wanna see pictures please.

I am trying to get ideas how to put one in safely and cheap as possible. I was thinking have to be a rock base or something similar from floor to ceiling and so wide on each side? I seen one like this in a house but I can't say I have ever seen a fireplace in a mobile home.

Please share your thoughts. I am in Washington so if you know of the rules that would be great too.

I have a fireplace in my 2001 mobile home but has never used it. It also have blower switch on it to circulate the heat through out the house. I would love to use it safely, so could someone please give me so insight on how to. Here are some pic.

Back
Top Bottom