First Aid Kit Thoughts....

I rigged up 4 of these crates, and luckily I have space in coop or shed to set them up.
They are very handy to have.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I like the smaller ones like yours, but have the large ones - I re-purpose/re-use everything:)

The big one will allow at least 7 large fowl into it;) haha! I had a girl that sprained her foot a year or so ago, I would limit her activity most of the day - everyone wanted in, she wanted out. I let her out before bedtime everyday to let her move around more - everyone else would pile in - a 8.5lb BO rooster along with all the hens - they were so excited to get into that cage everyday! Great for broody breaking too.

I like the smaller ones like yours, but have the large ones - I re-purpose/re-use everything:)
I have 2 large ones(42"L x 28"W x 30"H) left over from dogs, brought my first flock of ten adults home in one, and do use them on occasion but they are too big to use in the coop....not to mention I can't carry them alone with birds inside.
Borrowed a couple small ones(24"L x 18"W x 21"H) once and then started buying them(mostly at flea markets for $15-20) and adding the 1x2 mesh on the floor.

20140910_190512.jpg
I'd also have some Qwik Stop (styptic powder) and if you've got chicks have some corid on hand (just in case). Had a hen completely rip a toenail off one time and the styptic saved her...just stuck her foot down into the jar until it stopped bleeding.

View attachment 1244456 I'd also have some Qwik Stop (styptic powder) and if you've got chicks have some corid on hand (just in case). Had a hen completely rip a toenail off one time and the styptic saved her...just stuck her foot down into the jar until it stopped bleeding.

Oh, those ripped off toenails just bleed and bleed! Good idea to have a blood stop powder on hand!

Just in case anyone is reading this, for future reference - if you have bleeding and don't have blood stop on hand, you can use Cornstarch or Flour to help control bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom