First Aid Kits - poultry

Sarevan

Songster
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
White Swan, WA
I found this post and it has helped me and I have also added to it si I have the items on hand. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...dy-and-essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them

Ive added 2 different sized scissors, large and a small near the size of a scissor used for embrodiery.

A pocket knife
A baggy of flour, for bleeding
styptic stick
vaseline
ky jelly
lamb feeding kit - for tube feeding chicken
valbazen wormer
tylan 50
glovers needle & thread incase ever need to do stitches
super glue
small bottle honey - for prolapse
small baggy of sugar for prolapse
bottle of saline. solution
iodine solution, weak for wound cleaning
baby asprin
can of starting fluid - to euthanize
papertowels
eyedropper
magnifying glass
towel for a bird wrap
small tubes pliable plastic for drainage if needed for stitches
probiotics
calcium tablets
nail trimmer
small bowls and plastic basin used only for animals, cleaned with bleach
small syringes & needles for subcutaneous injections (feed store has them)
various sized syringes for feeding or medication.

I have all of these items on a shelf by the backdoor, with a box so I can grab what I need and head out to the animals. I am an old EMT-D, am learning what applies to humans applies to chickens too. (they just can't tell you what is wrong)

I am sure I'll be adding things or swiping from the human kit as time goes by, this seems to be a good start. As we have so many people with injuries, illnesses thought it would be good to post this.

I have many of those items... Other good ones to have are Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food, Pedialyte, 10% Baytril, Nystatin and fluconazole.

-Kathy

Electrolytes and vitamins are also good ideas. Electrolytes help with stress, and vitamins can be used for such things as wry neck and leg injuries. BlueKote spray is also helpful for coating wounds blue to prevent picking.

Back
Top Bottom