Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Pics
My incubator is giving me fits! Or rather, the thermometers are. I'm pretty sure I have the incubator set to 97 - 97.5. My digital thermometer reads .5 high so I have taken that into consideration. However, it keeps reading like the temp is in the high 98s if I don't open the incubator for awhile and I don't like it. And it's getting older and might just be acting up.

The aquarium thermometer insists it's around 97, but it only reads in increments of two so I can't really be 100% sure what temp it is going off that. And my hygrometer's thermometer keeps going back and forth between reading 95 and 97.

Just :barnie

Might have to pick up another thermometer I guess. Oy.
Oh I HATE that! I used to put 2-3 inside a bator but it terrified me when they were all different. LOL I hope you get this straightened out!

Oh dang, I hope it settles down for you. I love the pic of the 3 eggs in the Octagon 20. That gives me great perspective. How close are they to the top plastic fan-cover? I wonder if that could be what's messing with your thermometers?

Very close. I actually had to rearrange them after taking that picture to allow for better air flow. So that could be what's throwing it off, but that also makes me nervous because it means there might be hot spots and cold spots in there :hmm

Very close. I actually had to rearrange them after taking that picture to allow for better air flow. So that could be what's throwing it off, but that also makes me nervous because it means there might be hot spots and cold spots in there :hmm

Understandable. Honestly, I'd be inclined to trust the Octagon. As big as those eggs are, it may take quite a while for the internal temp to regulate, and cause all kinds of weird readings getting to that point.
But above all, trust your own gut. You got this!

Understandable. Honestly, I'd be inclined to trust the Octagon. As big as those eggs are, it may take quite a while for the internal temp to regulate, and cause all kinds of weird readings getting to that point.
But above all, trust your own gut. You got this!

I usually trust the heck out of it, lol. Most of the time, I don't even have a thermometer in it. I'm just so nervous about these eggs.

Well, I'm getting temperature reports from home (I'm at work) and it sounds like things have evened out. However, they've evened out to about half a degree to one degree higher than I really want it, so it might get a small tweak to lower it a tiny bit when I get home.

Hi Guys!, just wondering here, partly because it applies to me too, should the position that these eggs are incubating in be shifted? To clarify, sometimes should the left one be placed on the right side of the incubator and visaversa? I was thinking, arguably probably too much, that if the forced air hits an egg on the same side all the time, which should only be a problem with big eggs in a small incubator, would they benefit in being moved around in addition to being turned.

Hi Guys!, just wondering here, partly because it applies to me too, should the position that these eggs are incubating in be shifted? To clarify, sometimes should the left one be placed on the right side of the incubator and visaversa? I was thinking, arguably probably too much, that if the forced air hits an egg on the same side all the time, which should only be a problem with big eggs in a small incubator, would they benefit in being moved around in addition to being turned.

I think it's okay now that I've moved the middle egg out from directly under the fan. The temps in the incubator have evened out and there don't seem to be any hot or cold spots :)

Quick update. For the first week, I was advised to weigh the eggs every day or every other day to try to pin humidity down. The advice was to start dry, then add water if necessary. These eggs are so big that, unlike chicken eggs, they measurably lose weight every day. Egg 22, for example, should lose 1.7 grams every single day.

Last night's weigh in showed that dry was not going to work, since we are just so dry here right now. 22 lost about 4 grams instead of 1.7, double what it should have. So water has been added. It is so dry, however, that even with both water wells filled, the humidity is only at 27% in there. We'll see how that does, but I will have to add paper towels to the wells to add more surface area if that's not enough.

Back
Top Bottom